Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #1 
cheylillymama

Question substrate ?

Im currently researching and making shopping list to covert my 10 gallon to an NPT.
Inhabitants are 1 CT male betta, 2 panda corys and a julli corey.
(I'll be upping the shoal a bit since a proper NPT can support a little more bioload, id like 6 cories total)

OFL's sticky has been printed and is being referred to often. :)
My question however, is Im seeing pool filter sand as a cap will not he ideal for my little corydoras. What cap would you guys reccommend for my little bottom feeder buddies?

Im also setting up a 5 gal planted tank (might not be npt right away) for our rescued betta. He's a cute little yellow guy with some red on his fins who we saved from walmart, he was fighting sbd and bad ammonia burns. What plants would you all recommend for the smaller space of his tank? Hes the lone inhabitant.
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #2 
Fin Fancier

I don't own any cories (though I want to badly), so I can't really suggest a substrate for them.
As far as plants for the 5 gallon I keep water wisteria, anacharis, and anubias in mine. The anubias don't grow too quickly, so they don't outgrow the tank like the anacharis will. Luckily anacharis is a champ at propagating, just break the stem and replant when it gets too tall. It also looks great planted or floating.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #3 
cheylillymama

Awesome! Ill double up on those so I can put some in both tanks.

Anybody got an answer about the substrate?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

I use something called silver sand, which is a totally inert sand from my LFS. I have no idea what it might be called in the US, though. What's the problem with pool filter sand?

Is it possible to rehome the julii's? They are a larger cory and won't thrive in a 10 gallon the way the pandas will. Rehoming them would also allow you to have a properly sized school of one species of cory, which would be far better for the cories in the long run.

In terms of plants, make sure that you have fast growing stem plants, as they are what makes an NPT successful. In mine I have:
- wisteria
- lacefern
- ambulia
- ludwigia repens
- anacharis
- willow hygro
And some others that I can't remember. You need a lot - you want to cover approximately 75% of the substrate with them.
Some good mid-low cover plants include java fern, anubias, susswassertang and java moss. I'm also looking at introducing some low-light crypts into mine. :)

All of the plants I have mentioned would be fine in a 5 gallon tank as long as you keep on top of the trimming. :) My main problem in my previous tank was that I got lazy with trimming, and I ended up with more plants than water. So trim, trim, trim!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

I agree, the corys are much too big for a 10 gallon. In my opinion corys are too big (must consider the school, not the individual) for a 10 gallon in general, but if you MUST, get a small one like pandas.

As for the sand cap - whatever is a larger diameter will eventually end up on top. Pool filter sand is an excellent choice for all bottom dwellers. Why do you think it won't be good?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #6 
cheylillymama

I read in a few threads that the pfs wasn't working for cories, but Im certainly willing to try it out. :)
When I first joined I was told the pandas would be perfectly happy in a 10 gallon. The julii was rescued from my friends little 2.5 gal. No problem with him, he can just move into my husbands 55 gallon at work and I'll pick up 4 more so they can shoal in there.
On the 10 gal I'll get 2 more pandas. Sound good?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

What you don't hear about is ALL the people that don't have problems keeping Corys with pool filter sand. Tons of people have no problems whatsoever.

Too, something to consider - a lot of people are quick to blame one thing or another when they have a problem with their fish - often the most convenient thing. The best example is "the filter killed my fish". No - the filter did not kill the fish, the fish died and was collected by the filter. It's easier to blame the filter than look at the possible reasons why the fish died, especially when it may be a case of fish keeper error.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #8 
redchigh

Play sand is much softer than filter sand. Just wash it well.

If you want colors, there's Estes "ultra reef" sand which says its save for freshwater on the package.

There's also a product called Estes "ceramaquartz", available at pool and tile companies. Totally inert, and attractive. Just dusty.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #9 
cheylillymama

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post

If you want colors, there's Estes "ultra reef" sand which says its save for freshwater on the package.

There's also a product called Estes "ceramaquartz", available at pool and tile companies. Totally inert, and attractive. Just dusty.
Thanks! ^only reply that answered my question without chastising me. Very appreciated.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
I found exactly the opposite. Once I was through washing the play sand it was much sharper than the washed PFS. I think brand may have a lot to do with that, though.

Sent from Petguide.com App