Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #1 
PopzTheBetta

new EE problem

ok so i whent to petsmart to return my dead betta (sob) and my new pick was an EE for only $8 , he is curently dubbed nemo because one of the ears is bigger then the other by a long shot, his ears are pretty torn up but the rest of his fins are fine, im going to treat him with acuarium salt, does that sound ok? also how do i know if its fin rot or he is just torn up? thx
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #2 
kimt

My EE had a damaged fin when I got him. I didn't notice it until I brought him home but no way I was going to take him back because I was already attached to him. I didn't do anything except clean warm water and it has mostly grown back. I kept him in a 2.5 gallon unfiltered tank doing 2 water changes a week. One 50% and one 100%. I did find that he does not do well with any water movement at all which is why I kept him in an unfiltered tank. With the extra finnage, any water movement pushes him around the tank. He is now in a 10 gallon divided with the filter on the other side so there isn't really any movement on his side of the tank.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #3 
mushumouse

my ee also had torn pectoral fins, he still tears them sometimes just by swimming enthusiastically. :p i don't think you need to start aq salt unless you start to see black or red edges on the fins, but to prevent infection kimt is right, just make sure the water is warm and clean. you can also use api stress coat as your water conditioner, it's supposed to help with fin regrowth.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #4 
Luimeril

torn pectoral fins is horribly common in big ears.... not much you can do about it, really. they're always moving, so they may always get torn up....

keep the water clean. that's about all you can do. they'll grow back on their own, but may never really heal fully...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #5 
PopzTheBetta

thanks you guys i will keep the water clean and warm
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote