Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #1 
Darkicydevil

Food brand?

I have "Tetra Betta Floating Mini Pellets" and "Tetra Freeze Dried Blood Worms"

There is basically no other options at my local small town walmart. I was planning on feeding 2 pellets in morning and 2 at night, one blood worm already re-dyrated ONCE A WEEK, and fasting one day of the week.

Are these brands of food really bad? I can try to go through the effort of the 1 1/2 hour drive to petco I suppose, but I really dont wanna. Should this diet be ok?
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #2 
Briz

Tetra is not the best brand for Betta food. First ingredients listed: wheat flour, fish meal, wheat gluten...

It will be fine if that's all you can get! But if you want the highly suggested brand of betta food, you could always try ordering online. You can get 60ox of New Life Spectrum for $9.49 including shipping. http://compare.ebay.com/like/3805573...Types&var=sbar

The only problem is if your betta ends up not liking the food! Isn't usually a problem with these brands though.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #3 
Darkicydevil

Hmmm thats pretty expensive, thing is, I just dont want to have to ordeer or go very far when I run out of food : (

I mean, is the tetra REALLY unhealthy for them? If its really bad for them I might try petco. Does anyone else feed tetra?

Also, what about tetra sinking algae wafers for snails ?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #4 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkicydevil View Post
Hmmm thats pretty expensive, thing is, I just dont want to have to ordeer or go very far when I run out of food : (

I mean, is the tetra REALLY unhealthy for them? If its really bad for them I might try petco. Does anyone else feed tetra?

Also, what about tetra sinking algae wafers for snails ?
I used to feed tetra but after many attempts of trying to feed it to my betta she always spit it out. But when I got Omega One flakes she goes wild for them. She is so picky that's why her name is Diva now

I do not know anything about snails so hopefully someone else will answer that for you.
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #5 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby216 View Post
I used to feed tetra but after many attempts of trying to feed it to my betta she always spit it out. But when I got Omega One flakes she goes wild for them. She is so picky that's why her name is Diva now

I do not know anything about snails so hopefully someone else will answer that for you.
hmm ok. I'm looking on petco.com right now and I'll consider trying to change brands maybe. depends on how long the pellets would last me, and how often i would have to ask my dad to stop at petco. I just dont see it happening cause he has to go out of his way to go there. but I really wanna give my fishie the proper diet : (
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #6 
VJM

The pellets will last a very long time. They are tiny, and don't expire for quite some time. I fully expect one container to last a year, with three bettas.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #7 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
The pellets will last a very long time. They are tiny, and don't expire for quite some time. I fully expect one container to last a year, with three bettas.
Would anyone recomend the hikari brand maybe? those are at my petco
Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #8 
Briz

Yeah, a 60g bottle of New Life Spectrum will last you a long time.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #9 
VJM

NLS should be at Petco too. They usually don't have them with the betta stuff (no idea why), and put them with all the other foods.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #10 
Rosewynn

Is there a protein as the first ingredient in them? I can't remember. I used them one time when I ran out of NLS. I like them because they're small like NLS and my bettas ate them so they must taste as good as NLS (I haven't had a single betta who would eat Tetra stuff). It used to be harder to get the 'good stuff' like NLS so I would need to try other things first. But now it's on the shelf at every PetCo I visit so that's what my bettas get. Yes, it's more expensive but it does last a long while. If you really can't or don't want to spend the money for NLS I think Hikari will be a good starter food in case you do want to get NLS down the road since they're the same size wise.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote