Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #1 
rainmaker

Question Marina style 10 gallon or Fluval???

Hi :)
I'm a new member here and I've been thinking to get a good fish tank for a betta. Me and my wife thinking to get the Fluval spec or the marina style 10 gallon tank. It's just so hard to choose between these tow. The good thing about the marina style 10 is that we can add more fishes so we have more options if we decide not to get a betta. For the Fluval 5 or 6 gallon our options are limited. I hate this. I wish they come with 10 gallon just like the marina style. Coz I love the fluval's design. Should I go for the marina style 10 gallon or Fluval??
rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 
Mashiro

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Definitely the Marina 10g. Bettas love the extra room!

Plus, you can replace the lights on the hood that comes with it with those mini compact fluorescent bulbs and have a planted tank! Bettas love real plants to swim through.

You can have what's called a community betta tank. 1 male betta, a few shrimp, a Nerite snail(they don't reproduce in freshwater) and maybe even some Cory Cats! They will all live peacefully together, depending on the species you choose and the personality of your betta. :P
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #3 
rainmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Definitely the Marina 10g. Bettas love the extra room!

Plus, you can replace the lights on the hood that comes with it with those mini compact fluorescent bulbs and have a planted tank! Bettas love real plants to swim through.

You can have what's called a community betta tank. 1 male betta, a few shrimp, a Nerite snail(they don't reproduce in freshwater) and maybe even some Cory Cats! They will all live peacefully together, depending on the species you choose and the personality of your betta. :P
Thank you do much.. I think 10 gallon is the best choice then. Do you know what's the best 10 gallon on the the market? I just found the Aqueon 10 gallon and it's not bad. And will make this tank planted :)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #4 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
Thank you do much.. I think 10 gallon is the best choice then. Do you know what's the best 10 gallon on the the market? I just found the Aqueon 10 gallon and it's not bad. And will make this tank planted :)
I think the hood that comes with that kit is incompatible with the screw in fluorescent bulbs I mentioned.

They really are the easiest and cheapest way to get your lighting situation up to moderate instead of low. :)

If you want to go really cheap and still have a kit that's compatible with those bulbs, go with this.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #5 
rainmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
I think the hood that comes with that kit is incompatible with the screw in fluorescent bulbs I mentioned.

They really are the easiest and cheapest way to get your lighting situation up to moderate instead of low. :)

If you want to go really cheap and still have a kit that's compatible with those bulbs, go with this.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Nice!! Last question.
sorry lol.
Does the filter that comes with it any good? I heard aqua clear 20 is good. But idk if I can put it in my tank? In marina style or grreat choice?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #6 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
Nice!! Last question.
sorry lol.
Does the filter that comes with it any good? I heard aqua clear 20 is good. But idk if I can put it in my tank? In marina style or grreat choice?
Very good question. The reviews on the item say the filter that comes with grreat choice is garbage. I say if you go with Marina or Grreat Choice, get the Aqua Clear 20 filter!

It's really good! It even has a water flow control feature that adjusts the current and will prevent your betta from being sloshed around in the water. :)

Oh! Don't forget a heater! I recommend the 50w Hydor Theo Submersible heater. Very good reviews on that specific one.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #7 
rainmaker

Thanks for all this infos, man. I really appreciate it!!! I think I'll go for marina style 10g with aqua clear 20 and the heater you just mentioned. Ill post some pics once I'm ready and all set :D
Thanks again!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #8 
Mr2KiEu

Check out this thread it has lots of good info and pics from Fluval Spec V owners.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=128565

I'd personally go with the Fluval since it has a built in filter chambers and its still big enough to house other fish too.
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #9 
rainmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Check out this thread it has lots of good info and pics from Fluval Spec V owners.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=128565

I'd personally go with the Fluval since it has a built in filter chambers and its still big enough to house other fish too.
Will check this out :)
Love the Fluval 5g maybe will get one in the future for the living room.
Thanks again guys!!! Love this forum :)
Old 05-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu

Check out Craig's List. You'd be surprised what you can find. Recently I saw a complete 10 gallon setup with stand for less than $50.00. I think that's the route I'm going to go if I can ever make up my mind about a 20 long.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote