Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #1 
Mashiro

Enough Plants For A 10g?

Trying to get a shopping list going here for my new 10g. How's this for starters?

Feel free to tweak and edit as you please. I'm going to use Eco-Complete and two 10w 6500k fluorescent light bulbs.

3x bunches of Hornwort
3x bunches of Wisteria
3x pots of Dwarf Hair Grass
3x sprouted Dwarf Lily bulbs
3x small Marimo Balls

I also have tons of Duckweed and Amazon Frogbit already on me.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I think that sounds really pretty.

I just bought two 3" x 5" mats of Dwarf Hair Grass ... I'm into instant gratification. I have two 5 gallon tanks and each mat will take up about 1/4 or a bit more of the tank floor.

Sure wish I had room for the Dwarf Lily. They are beautiful. I'm jealous!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #3 
Mashiro

Thanks! I'm going to put it all into my twice divided 10g.

One of each bunch in each division. Good idea? I plan to have double filters on this tank too, so no worries about that.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I think that's a great idea. The Bettas will love those plants. Willie sleeps in the cabomba. Be sure to plant first and then add water. Much easier.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #5 
Mashiro

Thanks for the info and the tip!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #6 
peachii

The lady at Petco gave us some water wisteria plant clippings because we are in there so much and she didn't want to throw them away. This was roughly 6 weeks ago and they have grown so much, I now have a wisteria clipping in every tank in the house and the 46 gallon and 29 gallon have 4 fully grown huge stalks of it a piece, So beware that it will grow extremely fast and be easy to spread around if it is the same as what we have.

He is going to order us a few dwarf lily's for the 2 large tanks and I am so excited. They are absolutely beautiful.

I recommend water sprite also, if you wanted to vary from the wisteria. We have in one 10 gallon a large plant of sprite and it is easily the most beautiful plant we own right now. Elvis (king betta) hides and sleeps in it frequently.

I also highly recommend anacharis (the large, thick stalks) not the skinny little one - they grow across the water line and all the bettas sleep on them. We have so many plants, all the betta leafs we bought hardly get any use at all any more.

We also have an over abundance of a plant that came free with a few orders from Tricksters (no idea what it is called) but soon I am going to have to start selling bundles because it grows so fast. They are absolutely beautiful as well, especially for good size for normal bettas to sleep on.

Also if you are going to us any type of gravel or sand over the eco complete, I highly recommend a light color so that the light bounces off of it, darker colors make it harder with the dividers for the light to hit the plants as easily. (from my personal experience not everyone will agree with that.)

Last edited by peachii; 05-09-2013 at 07:53 AM.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote