Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #1 
jred

Post 1 Betta died the other one looks like he will too! Help

Hello
I have had 2 bettas for about a year. They live in separate 2.5 gallong tanks. I do 50% water changes (aged, conditioned water) 2x a week and a 100% change 1x a month (about 6 months ago they both got a wicked case of fin rot and this water changing schedule resolved it.) Our water is softened, but it has been since I got them, they have heaters in their tanks that stay between 74-80. I feed them 2-3 soaked (in conditioned water) pellets 1x a day and fast them 1 day a week.

About 2 weeks ago one of them started to get lethargic, it happened slowly over a couple of days. I though he may be constipated so I fasted him...he continued to get worse and eventually passed away. The other fish seemed fine for the next week or so and now the exact same thing has happened to him...He is floating on his side at the bottom of a hospital tank with 1" of water...

I don't know what happened-but am scared to get another betta. This broke my heart...Also you should know I don't share anything between the tanks: they each had their own gravel vacuums, dirty water containers, everything.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?
jred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

has anything in your source water changed recently? I would try to switch to bottled water for a bit and see how that goes...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #3 
jred

Water supply

We are on city water...they shouldn't have made any major changes and our softener is also a filtering system so our water shouldn't have changed much...At this point it looks like my second fish will pass away this evening...
I think it is too late-he has no strength at all...an is hardly breathing in the hospital tank:(
I would love to get another but I don't want to put another fish through this...

Is there any sort of disease or parasite that could do this-even if they were healthy for the last 9 months?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

possibly... are they any symptoms? behavial and physical? like emaciation... strange colored poo...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #5 
jred

They started to be less active, and then hung out at the bottom of the tank occasionally (not when they usually would), they have both had white stringy poo (the one that died tonight got over the stringy poo and went back to normal), then they were very lethargic and eventually wouldn't swim to the surface (at which point I put them in a hospital tank with low water so it was easy for them to get air)...really from the time I noticed them loosing energy to death was 3-5 days-and each day they were markedly worse.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

White stringy poo is attributed to parasites. If your betta is still alive you can try getting some API general cure.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #7 
jred

Parasites

I agree it could be parasites...but I have had them for 9 months...how did they catch it? and since they each have their own tanks and everything else how did it get passed between them?

I want to get another fish-but I don't want it to get this as well...
Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

Fish can naturally carry parasites that only bother them when they get stressed. Water drips or net sharing might distribute the parasites. Also live plants not quarantined an treated for disease or parasites can transmit them. Is your fish still alive?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #9 
jred

Sick fish

No sadly my second died yesterday. What ever they had seemed to be pretty fast moving-from "they seem a bit off" to "they are laying on the bottom of the tank and not eating"...it only took 3-5 days from totally healthy to dead.

I feel so bad...between the 2 of them I did everything I could-I called fish doctors, research, water changes...

One of the big problems I found was that with a 2.5 gallon tank its hard to find antibiotics with a dosage that small. Do you know of any?

Also if I get more fish how do I treat the tanks so the new fish don't get parasites (if that is what my last 2 had)?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

You have to reduce the dose to the tank. So Kanplex for example is dosed for 5 gallons so you divide it up into 5 equal parts. Did your fish have any other symptoms such as change of color? If so what did they change to? Did their abdomens swell up? Depending upon the symptoms that will dictate what decontamination you need to do.

Tags
dead betta, help sick fish, lethargy, question, sick betta