Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #1 
KKCOTNER

Arrow Help!! My Betta hates the Filter!!

Hey guys!

I have a 5 gallon Marine land Hex and it seems that my betta hates the filter....I woke up Tuesday morning to find him swimming him circles like he was psychotic.... So turned off the filter..... This morning he has built a huge bubble nest over the filter.... Which says to me.... Lady don't u even think about plugging that thing in..... What do I do now? Can I get a lid made for it or should I try and find a different filter??

I think he is pretty smart myself.... :)

Thanks a bunch!!
KKCOTNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #2 
kimt

You can try to baffle it or you can go without a filter. I had one of my bettas in an unfiltered tank because he is an elephant ear and any water movement pushes him around. I didn't find it to be difficult to take care of but you do have to do more water changes. I did one 50% and one 100% water change a week. He was in a 2.5 gallon though, you might be able to get away with two 50% water changes.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #3 
Nicci Lu

Rubberband some filter sponge around the lip of the outtake. Works like a charm, and is adjustable according to how high or low you raise the sponge over the lip.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #4 
Viva

Yeah, either affix some sponge over the intake of the filter or get some pre-filter sponges. The Fluval ones work great and since I have peat moss balls in each tank the peat and debris get sucked into the pre-filter make the flow even weaker, and also assuring that all the water going into the filter is coming into contact with the peat (which I use to slightly soften the hard city water here).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote