Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 
justmel

Critique my 12 new bettas please (pic heavey)

Ok, recently I've had an infestation of bettas hit me. Out of these 12 I expect 4 of them with a 'few extra babies' thrown in. I got 2 of the ladies from a forum member and was told those 2 are not breeadable, but with the other 10 I paid for 2 breeding pair (1 chocolate pair & 1 grizzled pair) and the other 6 were the 'few extra babies'. I am asking for opinions on all of them because I think the 2 not breedable ladies may be the best of the bunch and I want to know if any of the others are even worth thinking about breeding. The pictures aren't the best & most of the males would not flare for me, so just your best opinion on what is here.

Now, I know that one of the males had fin rot and his fins are still growing back from that. ALL of these are supposed to be halfmoons. I don't know why the water is cloudy or yellow in some of the pictures unless it's lighting because they were all taken at the same time.

For whatever reason I still can't figure out how to post pictures with text, so I'll just have to put the pics and ask you to comment on the number pic it is (such as 4th pic down or 2nd female). Sorry for the hassle. I'll try and make it easier by alternation between the males and females so you can figure out when it's a new betta pictured (a few look alike).

Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #2 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

You need a clear side flaring pic for them to properly be critiqued. Ip the looke very pretty though!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #3 
MadMay

Well I will start off by saying Im no expert and often ask for critique help but I think the marble girl 3rd and 4th pic looks like a poss spine deformity. The very last female bicolor looks nice to me. Like beautifulbetta123 was saying to get good critique we all would need a flaring side shot especially with the boys. From what I can tell marble male in picture 7 and 8 looks quite nice and the bicolor before him looks like she could have good for but its hard to tell from the angle of the picture
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #4 
Myates

Honestly, none of them I would personally breed.. either bad toplines or their fins are weak or not wide enough. As mentioned, flaring pictures would be better.. but none are popping out at me. The only possible one would be the last picture of the girl as long as she is with a good, strong finned male.
Can't see the first 2 pictures.

They are cute and pretty in their own way, don't get me wrong.. but for breeding purposes you won't get a lot of strong rays. You may get one or two "gems".. they would be fine to breed if you plan on giving/selling to a pet store though, but for show fish or high sellers on AB, they aren't going to give you a lot of good offspring.

But just my opinion and based on the pictures shown.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #5 
justmel

Thank you MadMay & Mates. Your opinions rather reenforce mine on these fish. I'm really disappointed in the lady that sent me the most of them. She's a breeder & shows her bettas. She knew exactly what I wanted & sent me these. I could cause a big stink and all that, but I paid $40 for 2 pair & she sent me 10 bettas, a couple plants, micro & walter starter cultures, decapped brine shrimp, & some betta pellets. Getting that much for the price I paid I don't really want to complain, but it puts me back to where I was 1 breedable males betta & (now) 51 pets. It's not that I mind the pet bettas or that I haven't already got attached to a few of these, but I want to get into breeding, not just as a hobby and that many pet bettas are really to many.

Thank goodness I do have 1 LPS that has agreed to sell bettas and have been refereed to 2 others that would rather deal with local breeders than continue having theirs shipped in, so I might still be able to do something.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #6 
MadMay

Did the breeder give you pictures before you agreed to purchas? From now on when I'm purchasing fish for breeding I will always post the pictures on here and see what everyone thinks on their form because of the last girls i purchased for breeding had bad toplines which I didn't recognize at the time.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #7 
Myates

That sucks.. even though you got a lot for your money, it's not what you need/want and that does put a hamper on things. I agree.. when breeding it's hard to have a lot of "pet" bettas as that is just that much more water changes you'll be doing. Why I cut my pet bettas down to a few, as I already spend enough hours cleaning my breeders, juveniles and fry tanks so often.

Figure out what you want to breed.. one of the first things about breeding- make a plan, set a goal. If you want to show, then look for show quality parents (of the color/fin you want). You want to do it as a hobby (since it will take a year or two to break even on what you spent on equipment), then go for what colors/fins you prefer and don't worry about perfecting the topline or fin degree, etc.

Make a goal, then purchase the fish to accomplish that.. if you aren't wanting specific colors then go with either show quality looks or just what you think is pretty.. I personally do "anything goes" with colorations.. mix and match and see what comes out of it, and put my focus on fins/body.

But you can use some of them for practice, especially if you have a place to send them to.. learn how to raise fry successfully before you spend a ton of money on breeders you want :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #8 
justmel

I think that's what I might do Myates. I've looked at a few of you spawn logs and love the fact that you just see what might happen. I actually have 16 - 7 week old fry now. I knew nothing when I started except heating, sponge filter, and a couple other things. From what' I've learned since I shouldn't have been able to make it happen at all, but I've only lost 2 fry since they hatched and had to cull 3 that were obviously not going to make it. I've got some interesting results from breeding 2 like colored bettas together.

I do have a couple pretty breedable ladies on order from Chard56, so once I get those ladies (I have no doubt Chard will send what he says he's sending) I will see what I have and go from there. I have one or two males that I might be able to work with, but nothing REAL good. I don't mind taking the time and working to perfect their lines.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #9 
Basement Bettas

I don't like the fact that most of the fish have fin rot. That is a care issue and have to wonder what the fish have been expose to. That first grizzle female has horrible top line. And that male, fifth pic down I do not like the emaciated look he has and the greyish spots long his back. Make sure you keep these fish separate and use good bio-security.

The marble male pinches in right after the back of the dorsal.. again top line issues there. Actually most of the fish have bad toplines. My biggest concern for you is possible disease. Keep these fish in individual container well away from any other fish you have and give them some time to settle. Shipping can take some condition but so can disease. You need to get a very strong chemical to treat anything you use with these fish. I don't want to be on crying the sky is falling.. but I have some serious concern about these fish. Take it for what it is worth.

On a side note.. A good breeders culls are still going to have some decent genetics. But the quality of fish you got I would have pet homed. My culls tend to be something you can get quality fish from and you then have to work like any breeder on color and tweaking form. You did get some good bi-colored fish, just crappy form. Keep them away from other fish, try to build up some good condition in them and breed them ASAP. Good food and water quality should get them looking better in a few weeks. If not you have something internal going on. Again.. use care with these fish.

And if you get a spawn keep that bunch isolated and use care you do not cross contaminate. Especially if the adults succumb to disease or bloating. Watch those grey spots and see if they grow or are present on more than that fish. If so, contact me direct.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #10 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
I don't like the fact that most of the fish have fin rot. That is a care issue and have to wonder what the fish have been expose to. That first grizzle female has horrible top line. And that male, fifth pic down I do not like the emaciated look he has and the greyish spots long his back. Make sure you keep these fish separate and use good bio-security.

The marble male pinches in right after the back of the dorsal.. again top line issues there. Actually most of the fish have bad toplines. My biggest concern for you is possible disease. Keep these fish in individual container well away from any other fish you have and give them some time to settle. Shipping can take some condition but so can disease. You need to get a very strong chemical to treat anything you use with these fish. I don't want to be on crying the sky is falling.. but I have some serious concern about these fish. Take it for what it is worth.

On a side note.. A good breeders culls are still going to have some decent genetics. But the quality of fish you got I would have pet homed. My culls tend to be something you can get quality fish from and you then have to work like any breeder on color and tweaking form. You did get some good bi-colored fish, just crappy form. Keep them away from other fish, try to build up some good condition in them and breed them ASAP. Good food and water quality should get them looking better in a few weeks. If not you have something internal going on. Again.. use care with these fish.

And if you get a spawn keep that bunch isolated and use care you do not cross contaminate. Especially if the adults succumb to disease or bloating. Watch those grey spots and see if they grow or are present on more than that fish. If so, contact me direct.
I've already figured out this is not somewhere I will get fish again. She claimed 1 was healing from fin rot and I was ready for that, but it looked to me like a minimum of three of the 6 males she sent had it. None seem to have it now, but I have them all in QT and am watching them very closely. Giving them a bit of a break since I can't get straight answers as to when they were last in Aquarium salt, but will be working on helping them heal that up soon. I figure these I can't judge to harshly until I see the way they are healthy.

The grizzle girls are the two that were sent as sorority girls and I was told they were not breedable, they are sweet adorable ladies though and they will definitely stay with me.

I double checked the male you mentioned, the 5th down with the grey spots. They looked kind of fungal when I got him and I did put him in AQ salt because of them. He's not eating much, but he is eating and the grey spots are gone. I still worry that he might not make it, but he's doing better than when I got him 4 days ago.

If the marble male you mentioned is the one I think he definitely won't be breed. I knew as soon as I looked at him he had serious issues and any fry from him likely would have to be culled. Besides his body just stopping like that he has no ventral. I have no clue what causes this as of yet, but I don't want to chance passing something like that on either. He's got a lot of spunk and a great personality though, so he makes a good pet and may get to stay in that role.

Your concerns is something I will definitely listen to and respect. I know you know your business and know your bettas even if we haven't talked before. I respect what you have to say and thank you for taking the time to advise me on this group.

All the bettas here, excluding the blue grizzle girls, are super skinny, not just the one you mentioned. A couple look a little better feed and they aren't eating much when I feed them. I'm feeding them several times a day right now. A combination of mysis shrimp, beef heart, NSL pellets, and the Atisons pellets she sent. Once I get them fattened up and looking better I will have to get some pics of the most promising ones and see what I can do.

I don't mind a lot of work, or the time it will take to work with a betta and improve it's line. I know it's a lot of work and my back hurts thinking of it, but to me it's fun at the same time.