Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #1 
Kewida

Unhappy Fin Rot

So I recently(sunday) moved my betta out of his 4l unheated (yikes) and into a 22l as his fake plants had cut and torn his fins. Today I noticed little black fluffs, and black bits of fins only about 3mm into certain areas. I picked up a betta therm heater from work and am getting a qt tank ready, I will try dosing aquarium salt but i can only do that until friday, as i will be away for the weekend and my mom and sister don't want to be in-charge of water changes etc.. while i'm gone, in fear of killing him. I did remove the filter and will do 100% water changes daily and add a teaspoon of api aquarium salt. Am I doing everything right?
Kewida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I wouldn't move him. If his permanent tank doesn't have live plants or other inhabitants you can treat him in that tank. Typically just increasing the water changes will get rid of fin rot but not always. If you're only going to be away for a couple of days then do a good water change before you leave & one as soon as you get back. If his tank is newly set up then it is probably cycling, have you been testing the water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #3 
Kewida

that's why I moved him... his "permanent tank" has 2 amano shrimp and live plants... I really don't want to have to do 100% WC's daily though, PAIN IN THE BUTT, but we do whats best for our bettas :)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #4 
Kewida

I guess I should probably do this

Housing
What size is your tank?QT 4l, Normal 22l
What temperature is your tank?QT 28c, Normal 27c
Does your tank have a filter?QT no, Normal Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?yes
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?Amano shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?HBH betta pellets, bloodworms(frozen), small crickets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily, except fridays

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?QT daily, Normal 1-2 weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?QT 100%, Normal 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?QT Prime and Aquarium salt, Normal Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water?No If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?Certain areas of fin black and 'fluffy' on the end, deepest apprx 3-4mm
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? twitches occasionally
When did you start noticing the symptoms?thursday may 15
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?QT tank aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill?Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6-9 months