Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #1 
Tabby216

Gravel Cleaner is Bad

Maybe I am doing it wrong but even though I do a gravel clean I see particles floating around. The proof is whenever I move the gravel and its disgusting me.

I've already gone through two brands Top Fin and now Fluval. I thought this one would work but obviously it didn't.

Any suggestions?
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #2 
Briz

If it's new gravel, especially painted Top Fin gravel, if you don't rinse it off first, it will have dust/debris for a little while, which will eventually settle and then get removed as you do gravel vacuums. This is normal. Even with rinsing, there will likely still be a little dust.

If the particles are from snails (poop) and fish (also poop and leftover food), then there's going to be stuff in the gravel despite vacuuming unless you go over every inch! If it really bothers you, try not to stir up the water so much, or perhaps consider switching to a bare-bottom tank. Gravel is not a necessity for some fish.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #3 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz View Post
If it's new gravel, especially painted Top Fin gravel, if you don't rinse it off first, it will have dust/debris for a little while, which will eventually settle and then get removed as you do gravel vacuums. This is normal. Even with rinsing, there will likely still be a little dust.

If the particles are from snails (poop) and fish (also poop and leftover food), then there's going to be stuff in the gravel despite vacuuming unless you go over every inch! If it really bothers you, try not to stir up the water so much, or perhaps consider switching to a bare-bottom tank. Gravel is not a necessity for some fish.
Its leftover food and poop. I want to get rid of them as much as I can so I guess I need some special equipment to get them out?
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby216 View Post
Its leftover food and poop. I want to get rid of them as much as I can so I guess I need some special equipment to get them out?
You are never going to be able to get rid of all particles, even if you vacuum everyday. If its left over food, try feeding less.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #5 
Agent13
Reference Team

I'm obssesive over the cleaing yet it never gets it all. However I do have lots of real plants and a moss ball so I guess between that and weekly gravel vac and spot turkey baster daily cleaning the water perams stay at a firm 0 across the board so just relax and do what you can.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Pay more attention to all the junk that's being sucked out - what's left behind won't seem so bad

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #7 
peachii

I am also OCD when i clean the tanks.

We bought all 3 sizes of the gravel vacuum and I don't like them. I tried them all and prefer to pull the tubing off of the smallest vacuum and just suck on the tubing to get it started. I keep my finger over the opening and knock the gravel around. It works so good that I can honestly say the vacuum's were a waste of money.

I've asked the boyfriend to take me to the hardware store to pick up an even smaller line of tubing, just small enough to not suck the gravel through it. Will suck less water and more nasty off the bottom when I clean,

It takes longer - probably take me about an hour and a half to clean my 29 gallon tank but it is well worth it.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #8 
isochronism

I had the same experience. I quickly ended up just using the hose the old fashioned way.
Yeah, I got HOSED as well :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote