Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #1 
Corinne245

Smile Meet Gandalf the Steel

Hi Everyone,

This is my new betta, Gandalf! He's a Halfmoon tail with steel coloration. He's very active & is always hungry. Sometimes I worry he may be gorging himself, but his belly never looks bloated. I try to abide as close as possible to the no more food than the size of his eye in one sitting rule but when he keeps begging sometimes I give in. I feed him 2-3 times a day depending on if I'm home and he eats in one sitting either 4-5 bloodworms, 2-3 mini pellets (gave him 6 one time) or freeze dried brine shrimp pieces totaling the size of 2 eyes. He just scarfs it all down and waits for more!

This is my tank setup:

Gandalf's Haunt - 5 gallon Freshwater fish tank

Nice to meet everyone!
Attached Images

Corinne245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Welcome Corinne and welcome to Gandalf the Steel! He's beautiful! He looks like he's got a pretty nice tank too :D

As far as feeding, if you only feed once a day, you can feed him until his belly starts to look a little full. So you could feed him 6 pellets a day if he gets full on that. Just don't feed him until his belly is bulging or anything :) What type of food are you feeding him? Also, are they frozen bloodworms or freeze dried bloodworms?

And welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy being here with us! And never forget to ask any question you like, whether you think it's silly or not, it's what we're here for! :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #3 
Corinne245

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thank you lilnaugrim for the welcome! Your betta is gorgeous by the way! I love the contrasting orange and blue.

I only feed one type of food in one sitting and change the food from mini pellets to freeze dried brine shrimp for subsequent sittings. I am keeping the bloodworms as a treat once or twice a week. The bloodworms I feed are the once live but now dead frozen sort.

It's good to hear you can feed once daily. I'm going on a road trip next weekend from Friday to Monday & will prob. only be able to get someone to stop by one time on Sat. I'll feed him in the morning on Fri. and the evening on Mon. I read it's good to fast for a day so Sunday will be fasting day. Thankfully my aquarium light is on a timer!
Corinne245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good! just wanted to make sure and all ^^

And thank you! That's Rembrandt, my oldest Betta at the moment (well old as in, I've had him longest) he's a Blue Mustard Gas coloring and a very lucky find at a petstore!

He should be fine for the weekend! I leave my fish three days every week, although they get fed Sunday morning and then Monday and Tuesday are complete fasts and then Wednesday afternoon they are fed again. But no worries, Betta's can go without food for a month tops, it's not exactly healthy but they can do it if they need to or feel the need to. When I first got Remmy he wouldn't eat ever and it took him a month to adjust to his new home and stuff, I offered food every day but he wouldn't take it so I'd just scoop it out.

Thank god for those timers right!?! I love mine, although half of them are faulty >< I've got three for my five tanks right now and my fish probably wouldn't be here without them lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #5 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Gandalf is lovely. He seems like a spoiled little fish. (:
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, halfmoon tail, new betta