Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Smile Massive Updates and Lots of Pictures

Hey all! So I just took lots of pictures today (180 to be exact and 1 movie lol) so I wanted to share all the updates! Except for my PetCo baby boys which are updated here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=167010

So the Sorority of 9 girls have been doing great, few nips and clips here and there but nothing serious. I introduced Raven and Maddie over a week ago now, Maddie was accepted but Raven is still kind of on the outskirts so I don't have any good pictures of her yet except for when she was in the QT tank.

So here's her in the QT after I changed her water:

So Ditto has been in the long process of healing his fins up, there had been some tears when I first got him but somehow he just completely wrecked them and now he's healing up again. I just realized today that in the spots that look black or clear, it's actually a striking blue iridescence and I took like 50 pictures of him alone to just get that irid which wasn't showing up very well. But by george, it's beautiful! Here he is showing me his ventrals which had just started to fill out (Sorry he looks a little skinny here, it was before feeding time)

This one was just adorable because he was half flaring at his neighbor and then turned to look at me like "why did you put him next to me?! You know I can't handle this! Gah!"

And finally a picture that showed part of his iridescence, there's more in real life but this picture will do for now. I think he had gotten into tail biting at some point as well but they are growing back slowly :)

Even Rembrandt is doing better! This was him a few weeks ago, on top of his torn fins and bitten fins he hit his head on some plastic which left three marks but since have healed up. He also hit himself against driftwood I think and that one has also healed up but here's a few weeks ago:

And here was last week, the color was enhanced a little since I was playing with the settings on my camera. But his dorsal fin is growing back fairly nicely although I'm not sure what's up with that bit that's kind of "bunched" together in the middle of it, it's been like that since I got him back in December. Also his right ventral there is curling...perhaps my parameters?

And this one was today, look at those blue lips!

And now we come upon my sorority, just some cute pics I took whilst playing with them.

Aurora is like, hey...you gonna feed me? And Stardust is just angry lol such a grumpy girl

Stardust, she's changing colors a little bit. There's more red to her scales than before

Mystique playing babysitter. Stardust's back half on the top left then Cherry, Mystique, Aurora and Pineapple on the bottom. And a Neon Tetra in the back "photo bombing" everyone haha

Aurora, Cherry, Mystique and then Pineapple....lol I see her do this all the time where she just stops and stares at me. It's so adorable

Pineapple, Cherry, Aurora, Phoenix and some Neons. Lol even the Neons love my hand XD I love this picture because you can see the three dots of iridescence on Phoenix's cheek ^^

Mystique on the bottom, then Pineapple, Stardust, Aurora, Phoenix and Cherry...oh yeah and the neons

Phoenix, Aurora (you can see part of Little Blue's tail behind her dorsal fin) Mystique, Cherry and Stardust

I love Phoenix's blue eyes, they're just too cute!

And finally, to the new guy! He's a DT and gorgeous! I saw him at my LFS and knew I had to take him home, only 4 bucks too! He was in a unheated talk with mollies, platies, some young catfish and two other Plakat males which she didn't know where males until I pointed out. But they were living harmoniously, most likely they were just overwhelmed and it was just an occasionally flare here and there.

And a week later he's now swimming in a lovely 3 gallon all to himself, heater AND filtered lol He's perked up so much since he's been in the heated water and he just looks so thankful :)

So I'm debating some names for him, the first that came to mind were Feron, Gambit and Hyperion. Also debating Darkstar, Nocturne, Arclight and Alchemy.
So far though, the first three are my faves.

He also may have some fin rot which would be rather expected in the previous living conditions. But it could also just be his coloration so I'll need some help with that and without further ado here are some pictures to introduce the new guy!

(Colors are enhanced and the white dot was on the bag, not him)

Please excuse the dirty tank, I just switched it over to sand and let it settle for the day but it's still sticking to some of the sides where there was former algae ><

And I believe that's all for now folks! Thanks for lookin'!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 
Adnamac

Aww....quick healing to your boys! May ther fins be as flowing as ever when all is healed up!

That sorority! I love it. All your girls are so pretty! It's nice to hear they've been getting along pretty well. :)

...and now that new boy...! Hubbahubba! He looks good ow...can't wait to see him healed up a bit. As for possible fin rot...someone else will have to weigh in on that. Right now to me it just looks like his colors...maybe just keep one heck of a hawk eye on it for a few to see what happens?
Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks Adnamac! Yes, I was hoping for a speedy recovery for their fins although Rembrandt's always been a slower healer so it was kind of expected. And with the way Ditto swims I wasn't surprised he tore his fins either. But doing 2 water changes a week and using my ever present StressCoat to help heal them up!

Thanks, I do love my sorority! So much personality just jam packed into a 33 gallon fish tank! It's truly amazing really. Out of those girls the ones not pictured in the group pictures were Maddie, Little Blue and Raven

Yeah, I saw that boy and nearly fell over when I saw him. She had some striking bettas but he did the eye thing, especially when I learned of the two plakat boys in there, thankfully everyone was mellow enough to get along for the most part. The store owner was happy to chat with me though, she is like me in that we love to learn new things to keep our fish healthy and all. So she was pretty happy to soak in the knowledge I could give her about sexing Plakat's and other Bettas!

But yes, just gonna keep an eye on him and see what happens. I have a feeling it's just his colors but his dorsal was looking a bit ragged, possibly from nipping whilst in his previous home, but so far so good!!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #4 
Kyurem150

Those are beautiful!! I was wondering what kind of plants you have in your sorority? I am planning a summer project - 10 gallon sorority so I was wondering what plants to add in to it.
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks! I have lots of plants in mine so I'll try to name them all lol.

3 large Amazon Swords
1 Melon Sword
Micrograss
3 different kinds of Java fern (I have one very large one, 1 regular from Petsmart and 1 windlov)
Water wisteria (Not hygrophilia difformis though)
green wendtii
Java moss
1 unknown plant
Dwarf Hairgrass
Frogbit (which has been dying on me)
and my all time favorite, Water Sprite

I highly suggest getting water sprite to float on top because that's where I find my girls spend most of their time because Betta's are mid-top dwellers for the most part. So it helps to break up their line of sight and sometimes they get caught in it while trying to chase another and then they just give up, they back out and go in the corner to pout lol
Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So mister-I-lived-with-two-other-male-bettas-and-lived-to-tell-the-tale (lol tail) has created a beautiful, thick bubble nest! He seems very happy in his new home and comes up to greet me every time he sees me, such a cutie.

Okay still debating names, now to four: Jarvis, Feron, Gambit or Hyperion.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

whoops wrong post. Comment was deleted and moved.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #8 
Kyurem150

I'll be sure to get water sprite! Also, how many gallons is that tank? I love the way you have girls and tetras I there!
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

My sorority is a 33 gallon tank, if you wanted another schooling fish I would recommend something 20 gallons or larger. I'm actually just getting rid of my tetras though because I find that they agitate my girls and they're getting pretty fiesty but they do look nice.

I also have 6 Dwarf Corydoras in there who are just the cutest things ever! But they also school, sometimes even better than the tetras do so I'll just be keeping those instead and then I can add another girl or two down the road if I want to :)