Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Interesting Betta Behavior

I have shrimp in with my Bettas, Si and Willie (two 5 gallon planted tanks). Recently I posted about Willie lying on the bottom. He's over that, thank goodness.

However, I've noted an interesting behavior: I drop my shrimps' food in the same spot. Each time I do, Willie heads directly to the bottom and will lie on top of the food for about 30 seconds. Then he zooms away and continues his exploration of his territory.

Neither Betta bothers the shrimp although Si was quite curious about the new Assassin snails and pecked their shells a few times.

Anyway, thought Willie's need to lie on the food was an interesting behavior. I wonder if it's dominant or just fun.

BTW, here's Si and Willie. These were taken when they were about three months old. Both have darkened and Si's body is now so blue it's almost black (his "edging" is still the same) and Willie is a deep Silvery Copper.
Attached Images

RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #2 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Si and Willie don't happen to be named by the guys from Duck dynasty do they? By the way their really pretty!
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Yep. I named them before I knew their personalities but they fit. Willie is thoughtful and serious; Si is more adventurous.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #4 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
However, I've noted an interesting behavior: I drop my shrimps' food in the same spot. Each time I do, Willie heads directly to the bottom and will lie on top of the food for about 30 seconds. Then he zooms away and continues his exploration of his territory
My VT used to do that same thing when I first got my corys. He would lie right on their food so they couldn't get to it. I called it smauging- he reminded me of a dragon with his treasure. Come to think of it, he did the same thing when I tried to give my otos peas... I had to give up on the peas.

Now he just tries to pretend he's a cory, too, at feeding time, so he can snag some of their food. Pretty sure the corys aren't fooled...

EDIT: BTW, your boys are gorgeous.

Last edited by Nicci Lu; 05-10-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Thank you, Ncci, for the nice comments about the boys.

I am a retired canine behaviorist/trainer and I find it fascinating that quirky behavior isn't limited to warm-blooded critters. Am glad to know mine aren't the only ones who "smaug."