Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #1 
faraiza9

bubbles on water surface? why did this happen?

So, a few hours ago I turned the filter off to my tank, and about 3 hours later I see like... Bubbles floating near a Lilly leaf, and they were not there earlier, and it concerned me because they're all in the same area. What does this kean, should I be concerned?
Attached Images

faraiza9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha, this is your Betta making a bubble nest! He's telling you he's willing to breed, it usually makes for a happy betta but they will do it regardless because it's just natural for them :D So don't worry, just your Betta wanting to be a good little daddy :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #3 
Snoeflayke

That is a bubble nest. It is a perfectly normal thing that bettas make. Males will make them to hold the eggs, so it means that your betta is sexually mature.

Don't worry!
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #4 
faraiza9

That is awesome, and I was just doing some research on that now, and that's good! I've never raised a fish before in my life I put so much time and effort to keep him and the tank in good condition!
So I guess that's good.
So.... Does this kean I have to put a female in there? My brother has a female betta?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's great you're doing your research!! :D

And no, they don't need females and it is possible that he could kill her during mating. Breeding can be a very difficult thing and you would have to be ready for about 200+ betta fry.

But no, you don't need to put a female in there for him to be happy, he'll just keep making nests now and then, sometimes they do them for amusement.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #6 
Rosewynn

Yeah, don't worry. He'll be perfectly happy and healthy even without a mate. Breeding is surprisingly complicated (and expensive!) and should be left to more experienced keepers. And when you destroy it when you're cleaning don't worry about it either. They'll usually just go back to work on another one in a day or two.

My EE beta has issues and will leap through his bubble nest and then look disgusted because there's a hole in it. So he just goes back and works on it again. LOL
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol that's so cute Rosewynn! None of my boys have made a nest in a while :( I guess they're just too preoccupied with other things to think about mates lol
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #8 
faraiza9

Hahaha! Yeah I figured, but na... I'm in no position to do that lol! Thanks guys for the info! :D
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #9 
faraiza9

Oh and my bettas tail fins were recently like... Damaged.... They are getting better... But how long do yall think it would be until his tail fin gets back to it's round clean smooth shape?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It depends on how damaged and whether or not he got fin rot in that span of time or if it was just a little tear. It could be a week or a month, keeping the water warm and clean will help lots with that. Also if you get StressCoat conditioner it will help, it's got aloe in it to help with the healing process. :)

But each betta has a different heal time, much like humans. On of my boys will heal nicely in a week will another will take a month and sometimes over, it's hard to keep his fins nice ><

Tags
bubbles, half moon, planted aquarium