Hello, my name is Emma and I've had my new betta for a week. getting him was unexpected, I attended a banquet and they used bettas as center pieces at the tables..(terrible, I know.) they gave them away at the end of the night. They had containers to put them in and gave everyone little envelopes of food (so at least they sent us home with food for the little guys.) so, long story short I just had to save him..he currently does not have a name, I just can't think one because I've been so focused on setting up the tank and making sure I'm doing the right things, I've been stalking this forum for like 4 days trying to soak up as much info as possible!
here is my set up right now --
2.5 gal tank
Tetra Whisper 3i filter
Tetra Heater 5-15 (2-15 gal) REALLY wish I had gotten an adjustable heater because this one barely keeps my tank at 76
I bought a log decoration for him to go hide in today because right now the tank is empty beside the gravel, heater and filter and he likes sleeping behind the heater so I know he will love the log. I also bought a Anubias Nana plant today, I had bought the little bulbs you plant in the tank but I am too impatient to wait for the to grow, and I think having a live plant in the tank will help to cycle the tank faster.
Right now I only have Jungle 5 in 1 testing strips, I know they are not very accurate and I am going to get an API master test kit as soon as possible (I am ordering some things online soon.) but for now the strips are saying my Nitrate and Nitrite is 0, my water hardness is either hard or very hard..the colors are so similar I can't tell..I think my alkalinity is in the Ideal color zones but my pH is definitely high.
I am really sorry this post is so long, I've just been killing myself trying to do everything right for my fish and still trying to enjoy the whole process as much as possible, I must say..he is a really playful little guy!
here are my questions..
1) How do I introduce the Anubias Nana and the log decoration into the tank, anything special need to be done? Do I just stick the plant in the gravel similar to putting the bulbs in there?
2) related to the plant, how do I make sure I don't get snails in my tank?! the package the plant is in says snail free but I do NOT trust that! and I really really do not want to deal with a snail infestation!
3) How many water changes should I do while cycling my tank? I was doing daily changes of about 40% for 3 days but then I read that changing the water so much can slow down the cycling..(I've read so many different things, bottom line is I want my tank to cycle while keeping my water as safe as possible for my betta.)
4) Is it safe to add water conditioner to the tank while my betta is in the tank?
5) I got the thermometer you stick to the outside of the tank, are those accurate?
I would be so grateful to anyone for reading and replying to this LONG post lol. I would love any information you can give me! Thank you!! Oh I do have pictures of my tank and betta if you'd like me to post them.