Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #11 
EmmaBlake

Thanks everyone so much for the replies :) I have been very busy the past few days but I have been reading all of your replies and you all have given me some really good info, I've put the log in the tank and my betta seems to be liking it, he has even started making bubble nests! I'm going to do a bleach dip on my plant tomorrow and then put it in my tank, I hope that will get rid of any snail problems. I think I am going to keep the filter in my tank, my betta doesn't seem to mind the bit of current at all, he is very actively swimming all around the tank and even swims really close to the filter. I think for now everything is going well, with the supplies that I have. Although I will feel a lot better once I get my master test kit in the mail and can test for ammonia. I will also be getting a better thermometer. Again thanks everyone for the help, I'm starting to feel more confident in taking care of my betta, I have to admit I was really overwhelmed when I started researching and realized everything my betta needed. Now for the good stuff, PICTURES!! 2nd from bottom is before I put the log in, looks so empty! and the last one is the log which is now in the tank, I had to have my step-dad sand down the edges on the inside..they were really sharp. and also the plant that I got..lastly some betta food nobody should ever buy, the pellets are HUGE! my betta spit them right back out.

Name:  image (1).jpg
Views: 104
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  image (2).jpg
Views: 104
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  image (5).jpg
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:  image (6).jpg
Size:  22.8 KB
EmmaBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #12 
Juditko

For some reason I haven't had any trouble with our internal thermometer with a suction cup. It's a Petsmart type. I use two in the tank and pull one out when it's time to match the water temp from the faucet.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #13 
Juditko

Wow! He's a beauty!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #14 
EmmaBlake

Thank you Juditko! I think so too :) does he look healthy to you? I have been so paranoid about him getting sick because I don't have a master test kit yet. I put his plant in the tank tonight..here is a pic.

Name:  photo (1).jpg
Views: 92
Size:  41.9 KB
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #15 
Backlash

Wow Emma, he is a really handsome boy....

He looks really healthy and happy.. There is not a mark on his fins..

Your tank looks nice too.. Maybe another plant or two to give him a bit more cover so he has somewhere to hide and have some time to himself..
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #16 
Juditko

I'm a newbie, too, but he looks good to me! Happy to have you as an owner!

After some hit and miss with plants, I dumped plastic and went to silk (fabric). I've had some hit and miss with those as well...bought one at Petco and one at Petsmart that actually had WIRE in it...(wire rusts and is toxic to the fish, from what I've learned here...not all from those stores have it, but two did.) I have been happy with some Hagen Marina naturals that I ordered online from Ken's Fish (also very happy experience with that retailer.)

You're with a good forum...lots of info and helpful folks here. You've got a great start with a good-looking fish and nice-looking tank! Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #17 
BETTACHKALOVE

He looks healthy but for 2.5 gall i would really not recommend to cycle it. A lot of people on the forum not recommending to cycle 2.5 gall.
If you really want to continue to have a filter make sure it not strong and you might need to baffle it up. Make sure you check water parameters daily, you need to vacuum the gravel weekly along with 50% weekly water changes, rinse the filter media once a week in the old water or dechlorinated water. Check this link
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #18 
peachii

Hi Emma,

Welcome to the addiction :P Your fish is beautiful, congrats on the new addition.

My King betta, Elvis - Loves his strong filter in his 10 gallon tank. It is much stronger than we anticipated but he actively plays in it and gets mad when i turn it off for feeding, sometimes going and sitting where the current should be and staring at me with a grouchy look. It's hilarious. Some bettas do not like currents but some do, just keep an eye on him and if he seems to be not happy with it, then you can change it then.

You can check your plants by hand, and look for small orange/yellow/brownish circleish things attached to the leaves for future plants you get. If there are snails, that is what it will look like, a tiny circle dot stuck to the leaf, you can feel with your finger. Or a clear, see through slime, that you can wash off with a strong current. All it takes is one snail and you can wind up with an infestation of pond snails. I did in my 10 gallon - just had to redo the entire tank because even an assassin snail couldn't take care of them all.

The anubis plant, you don't actually put in the gravel - leave the main "ugly" black brown roots above so that light hits them, they will die if they are covered up, google rhizome - I killed my first plant that had this because i didn't realize until afterwards I wasn't supposed to plant it.

We also have high PH in our tap water, straight off the bat. A piece of real driftwood as a decoration and/or peat moss in the filter are two natural ways to help that, try not to use chemicals to mess with the PH if you can help it.

You can get a turkey baster and suck waste/messy stuff off the bottom of the tank for in between water changes. It works well for small tanks. I also have a piece of tubing, a little bigger than the air line - start suction on it and when you do water changes, just suck from right above the gravel to get the dirty off. All vacuums i've purchased have been inferior to the 1 dollar tubing i already had for cleaning the bottom. Get what you can see off and don't worry to much about the bacteria that will accumulate as it's good for the tank to have a bit of that. Don't clean your filter media in tap water, swish it lightly once or twice a month in the tank water you just removed after a water change. You can tell by looking at a filter cartridge when you need a new one and mine usually last a bit longer than a month. After it needs replacing, I use panty hose and mix carbon media, peat moss and a layer of ammonia padding that pet stores sell and just make my own. ( the ammonia padding is because of my pure paranoid tendency of something happening to my tank while i am asleep and hurting my fish.) Much cheaper and exactly what my tank needs, rather than the pre-made cartridge. So long as your ammonia is at zero do a water change once a week. If your ammonia spikes, go ahead and do a 25 to 30% water change. I watch my betta closely and if I see stress stripes or they lose their coloring on them at any time, the first thing i do is test the water.

Also from someone who has been reading this forum for months now and joined/posting just a little more frequently lately - take all "YUR DOIN IT WRONG" posts with a grain of salt, and move on to the next post. :)

Feel free to PM myself or Stone if you have any questions or problems. We will gladly help if we can.

Last edited by peachii; 05-13-2013 at 01:56 PM.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

sorry but i want to say that you don't want to wait until betta start loosing the color , that why i also think 2.5 gall really go with 50% and 1-100% water changes a week. But if Emma really ready to cycle your tank follow the instructions from Oldfishlady that Bettachkalove posted. Its really good link to follow instruction from.And peachii advice is good but the only think i would do more water changes then 30%. The tank is too small ...so more water changes is needed.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #20 
EmmaBlake

Thank you everyone for the compliments on my fish I'm really glad you all think he looks good, I feel lucky that he was in such good health when I got him. I plan on getting a few more plants, I wanted to try one out and see how it went. I am a little worried because I saw a brown dot looking thing that could have been either fish waste or a snail, I tried to get it out of the tank but since I don't have a vacuum or a turkey baster yet I just tried to reach in and get it with my hand but it floated down into the rocks..hopefully I don't have snails because I did a bleach dip and everything, so not much more I could have done.

I did end up putting a baffle on my filter, I thought at first that he didn't mind the current but then I noticed he was struggling to swim in certain places in the tank and now that I've put the baffle on he is swimming around the whole tank and I can see he is more relaxed as well.

I get worried sometimes because when he swims he looks like he might be trying to bite his tail but I check his fins every day and they look fine..I uploaded a video of him swimming on youtube, sometimes I think he might just spaz out a bit lol. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj_fP...ature=youtu.be

Also, I am a bit confused because I didn't know it was a choice to cycle or not cycle a tank? I thought that the cycle was just something that happened naturally?