Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #1 
Kyurem150

How to cycle a fishless planted tank?

So how do you cycle a planted fishless tank? I was going to add ammonia plus SeaChem Stability for nitrifying bacteria to get a jump start and start from there. Then after I finish cycling I will begin to find 5-6 girls for my 10 gallon sorority. This is my summer project and I hope to successfully complete it! Please show me the steps and important details. Thanks in advance!!!
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Have you read the cycling stickies? They may answer your questions more quickly. I would but I don't know. I did use Stability and it worked great
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #3 
Shadyr

Do you have any other cycled tanks - or a nearby friend who does? I've read that a common jump-start is to seed the filter in the new tank with a bit of the filter material from the established tank.

You could also get some of the BB starter liquids and dump it in there.

The plants will absorb some ammonia, so mostly just monitor the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrite levels. When all of them approach 0 then you should be good to go. The plants may keep the ammonia abnormally low, so you might or might not see that one spike like you normally would.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #4 
bniebetta

I used Stability and the fishfood method. Cycling is really easy if you have plants; they basically do it for you! Having a heater and especially a filter are necessary. Most of your BB are going to grow in the filter. :) Any questions in particular?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If your tank is heavily planted, say 6 or more plants in the 10 gallon then you can do this thing called a Silent Cycle.

Basically you have so many plants that everything is eaten up right away, keeping it safe for your fish and you can add them in right away to start up with the ammonia. You should look up the Silent Cycle, I did this with my 33 gallon and it worked marvelously.

Basically your tank will cycle very very slowly but the plants buffer everything so the cycle is....well it's silent :) You'll never get readings if you have the appropriate amount of plants as well, fast growing ones are better for this too since they soak up more nutrients to grow :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #6 
bniebetta

Lilnaugrim is right. Because of my plants I have actually gotten readings that measure LOWER than what shows up on the API test kit. :)
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #7 
sunlight

Sorry i can't help with cycling question but i want to give you the link about water changes though for cycled tank. One of the link is for fish-in cycle and another one for the water changes. Sorry i know you need fishless cycle. I think i know the link i will try to find it and post it for you and the other people will also help you:)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #8 
sunlight

just one more link i think is helpful:)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=114575
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote