Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #11 
wish4coner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis View Post
How do you feed them egg yolk? I've heard of a lot of people doing it, but I have no idea how.
I hardboil eggs, and take the yolk out of the white. Then I take a piece, about the size of a pea, and put it in IAL (you can put it in water but, I just like that IAL is anti fungal). Then I crush it in between my fingers, put it into a small bottle (I use a very well washed pill container), put the lid on and shake it until it's all dissolved. Then, when you open it, you can see all the yolk dissolved into floating specks. If there are any big ones left, I use a spoon or fork to break them up, shake again, until it's all dissolved.

You take a medicine dropper--I got a pack of two at the pharmacy--and I use one with an upward curve on it, so I can get under the water, when they are all swimming on top. I suck up a small amount and shoot it in, very slowly, to all the areas the fry are. Just be careful as, it spreads very quickly and, it does end up falling onto the bottom of the fry tank and can go bad quickly. So, just use enough to feed the areas the fry are and that's it. With the left over, I put it into the fridge for the next feeding.

Hope that helps--and, it does work to help the fry grow faster. It is loaded with protein. I wean down to once a day, when I introduce MW or WW/BW and then, stop using it and just go to the worms and, eventually BBS.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #12 
Canis

Awesome, thanks!
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #13 
wish4coner

I forgot to mention that, I also clean out the egg yolk, as much as possible. I take a turkey baster, cut a piece of air hose with an angle, so it stays on the bottom while I clean and I go very slowly. You can see the yolk at the bottom--it's very clumpy and stringy. I suck it out with the special baster and then, I put it up to the light so I can make sure I got no fry. Then, I put it into a clear glass, to take a double check for fry. I go very slow and only do small parts at one time.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #14 
wish4coner

Day 9, May 20-2013...
Had a few losses last night but, that is to be expected. I had such a large spawn this time, it was a blessing--now having 2 live fry from spawns. I cleaned the bin, adjusted flow of bio-filter.
Fry were introduced to BW tonight. I am staying on live foods, and they are doing very well. First batch had instant and frozen BBS. I am experimenting with growth by doing all live, to see if there is a difference.
I ordered Vinegar eel cultures and also plan on starting my own daphnia as well. Water is aging now, and waiting on a starter culture for that.
Fry are active and doing well. Temp is 83.6 degrees.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #15 
wish4coner

Day 13--Active fry which seem to do well on the MW/BW/WW. Still waiting on my vinegar eels and hope to receive those tomorrow.
Still very small so, using medicine dropper to clean bottom, as best that I can. Small sponge filter set to very low current.
Once first spawn is moved, I will move these guys to the bigger tank, and out of the spawning bin. I hope to do that by the end of next week, when they are about 20 days old.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #16 
Clayton1089

I have a spawn about the same age, what size are yours? Just kind of want to compare cause mine seem to be a little small too:/
Clayton1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #17 
wish4coner

In length, I would say they are a little bigger than the top of your pink. Width...I have no clue but not big. They are a month old now and showing more signs of being bettas, and more active. I did an experiment..this batch was raised on egg yolk and bbs. The new one is on worms only. I want to see if there is a difference in growth rate. It will be interesting.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #18 
Clayton1089

That's all I'm using is bbs and yolk, how often are you feeding?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #19 
wish4coner

I use a turkey baster with a piece of air tubing in it..and clean it first..so only twice a day. It takes a long time to get up the yolk and it goes bad first. I do use a good amount of IAL also. In between feedings, I did the MW for the first spawn.

This spawn, I did egg yolk only, the first few days. Then, I went directly to all worms--first, MW, then BW and WW. So far, so good and less cleaning involved. I can just use a medicine dropper to clean up the uneaten ones.

I bought some frozen daphnia and will introduce that, by mixing it in a cup with the worms. I also just got a VE culture so, I hope to have that started today.

I feed the worms 3 times a day right now. The worms last longer and, I already have some live plants in there so they are getting lots of nutrition.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #20 
Clayton1089

How about the spawn with just the yolk and bbs? How did they do?