Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #1 
alunjai

Are Males in Divided Tank More Aggresive Towards the Female?

I keep 4 males in a divided tank and try to block their view as much as possible but sometimes they do see each other and flare. Would this affect their breeding...as in would this make them more aggressive towards the female?

When I've selected a male for breeding I do isolate it in the spawning tank for at least 1-2 weeks for conditioning and only allowing to view the female once every day for 15 minutes.

Last edited by alunjai; 05-13-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Adding text
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #2 
Myates

Generally, the more secluded they are all the time, the more aggressive they are all together. But, seeing another fish often (daily) is healthy for them and should still be there for the boys.
I allow all of mine to see one another 24/7 and when I pull a pair to condition to breed I'll separate them and either not let them see another fish at all for a week, or allow to see one another for a very short time per day - it all depends on how aggressive either/both are.

You're the first person I have ever known to actually condition in the spawn tank - how is that for you? Success rate?

Last edited by Myates; 05-13-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #3 
alunjai

That's good to know... I thought that it stresses them when they see each other 24/7.

Ha ha... really? I always condition the male in the spawn tank and female in a separate tank/container and I've had 3-4 spawns out of 12-14 attempts. Is it better to condition out of the spawn tank? I've never read or heard not to do it that way...
Old 05-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #4 
Clayton1089

I conditioned in my spawn tank and I am starting my first spawn and I have eggs as of last night so it's working well! 200+ eggs
Clayton1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I too keep the male in the breeding tank/tub, whether breeding in 1g or 50g. It's OK. If you're worried, change 50-70% water 24 hours before you put the female in.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #6 
alunjai

Is it really to keep the spawn tank clean?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Some people fear keeping male in the breeding tank may raise ammonia, amongst other things. You can do a big water change to avoid this.

Another issue people are afraid of is the idea that this will make the male territorial - thus more aggressive. IMO, it's the same either way. The only difference is that the male will know every crack, every hole, thus he will easily find the female when she hides.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #8 
Myates

Learn something new every day! I actually like this idea now that I've learned more about it.. a shame I don't breed in tanks (better success in small containers within the tank) or I would definitely try this.. maybe I will at some point :) Put one of my upcoming breeders from my last spawn in the tank to help him grow, then attempt a "tank spawn" and see how it works :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote