Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #1 
Otterfun

Aggressive Fin Rot

Hi,

Noticed that Finn lost 1/8" of his tail yesterday. So I took him out to QT with 5cc AQ Salt and Kordon Fish Protector.

Tonight, he turned pale with stress stripes and lost some more fins, tattered now and he can't seem to keep himself straight, he's at 60 degrees slanted. Is he dying from something? I changed to 5cc/1g ES + Kordon Fish Protector.

Any thoughts, his looks reminded me of the days before Fred died. I am worried. I acclimated him with WC, is he in shock with the solution ?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #2 
Otterfun

If filling this out will get some help...

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5g, but moved to 32oz QT container floating in the 1.5g.
What temperature is your tank? 76F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes 76F
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 x 3 pellets/day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% every other day, for QT container 90% each of the last 2 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% every other day, for QT container 90% each of the last 2 days
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Day 1: Prime + Kordon Fish Protector + AQ salt 5cc/1g
Day 2: Prime + Kordon Fish Protector + ES 5cc/1g
Day 3: Prime + Kordon Fish Protector
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0.25
Nitrite:25
Nitrate:
pH:7.4
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, stress bar, fin rot before moving to QT, grey lower body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?fins clamped, floating slanted at 60degress at top of water, slight struggling to re-align and balance to float straight

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Day 1: Prime + Kordon Fish Protector + AQ salt 5cc/1g
Day 2: Prime + Kordon Fish Protector + ES 5cc/1g
Day 3: Prime + Kordon Fish Protector

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? At least 5-6 months, got him for 3 months, looks like at least 2-3 months when I got him.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #3 
Otterfun

day 4: still no help from anyone here,
continue Prime + Kordon FP. Came back to life a bit and getting energetic, no fin regrowth yet, at least fins no longer clamped and staying and swimming straight.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Sorry, wasn't online yesterday..... Poor Finn....

Aq salt is good for external issues, like fin rot.... But it also can cause fluid retention and buoyancy issues. (This is due to the sodium content.)

So your switch to Epsom salt was a good move. It contains magnesium (rather than sodium), which reduces fluid retention. Therefore, his buoyancy issues should get better.

Epsom salt has minor antibacterial properties. It can be used safely for longer periods of time than aq salt (because it doesn't stress the kidneys). So you can add it, if you'd like. The 5cc/gal dosage is fine. Hopefully, it'll be enough to treat the fin rot.

That said, I'm concerned that his lower body is gray. That's generally not a good thing.... Can you post a photo?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #5 
Otterfun

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Actually, he bounced back pretty fast overnight. His lower body is no longer grey and he is very active again. He scared me. Because I have to leave for HK to prepare my dad's funeral in a couple of days, I changed gears again and put him on Maracyn Plus (liquid form) + Prime + Kordon Fish Protector. Hopefully, he will get rid of the bacterial infection before I take off. I notice that the Kordon FP is pretty good in terms of helping with slime coat and getting Finn back to live...

This is what they say about it:
(Link: http://www.kordon.com/kordon/product...tions-for-use!)

Fish•Protector forms a multi-layered protective slime coating on fishes' skin, protecting fishes during handling and minimizing infection. The coating works as an effective healing aid for fishes with bruises, missing scales, or frayed fins. The protective slime coating is formed by special polymer colloids, and does not involve irritating the fish’s surface by the use of salt. Fish•Protector's polymer colloids beneficially absorb medicinal dyes, e.g., methylene blue and malachite green, as well as antibiotics, e.g., oxytetracycline and itrofurazone Fish•Protector acts as a carrier for such medications and can be used as an aid in applying them to the fish’s skin. Fish•Protector combines skin slime replacers, that are more concentrated and faster working than that used in Kordon’s NovAqua Plus, with the addition of vitamin B12 and increased Echinacea, all of which aids in the normal healing process of injured fishes.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm glad Finn is looking better..... And I am sorry about your dad.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote