Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #1 
Deku

betta question?

can you keep male bettas with other fish? as in community fish?
Deku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #2 
Peachgirl

I dont think so i asked this question earlier and they told me that you probably shouldnt. Even snails or those little ones theyd try to kill itd be best to keep it alone.
Peachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #3 
iamntbatman

The standard response is that they do fine with other fish that aren't nippy (i.e. tiger barbs, serpae tetras, and plenty of others) and fish that aren't overly-flashy (male guppies) or closely related (other betta species) or both (dwarf gouramis). Also avoid fish so tiny the betta could eat them, like neons.

That's the standard response, but it also depends greatly on the individual fish. Some bettas really don't tolerate any sort of tankmates at all, while some don't seem to bother any other fish at all.

Given a large enough tank, you could certainly try housing the betta with other fish (although I'd try to stick to the guidelines in the standard response), but be prepared to move him should problems arise.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #4 
Deku

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman
The standard response is that they do fine with other fish that aren't nippy (i.e. tiger barbs, serpae tetras, and plenty of others) and fish that aren't overly-flashy (male guppies) or closely related (other betta species) or both (dwarf gouramis). Also avoid fish so tiny the betta could eat them, like neons.

That's the standard response, but it also depends greatly on the individual fish. Some bettas really don't tolerate any sort of tankmates at all, while some don't seem to bother any other fish at all.

Given a large enough tank, you could certainly try housing the betta with other fish (although I'd try to stick to the guidelines in the standard response), but be prepared to move him should problems arise.
like my last betta R.I.P because he was doing okay till he got finrot
Deku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #5 
mischievouscat

I keep my male betta in a 5-gallon, cycled, heated & filtered tank with an otocinclus catfish and a ghost shrimp. They get along just fine. But I have a ton of hiding places in the tank just in case the betta gets pissy.
mischievouscat is offline   Reply With Quote