Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #1 
nikkeita

PLEASE HELP TARZAN!

He's been sticking his head down into the pebbles all the time. And when he floats to the top, he lolls on his side. I changed the water just now, because it was a little mucky. He's also been very aggressive towards me which is not his usual behaviour. He smacks himself against the tank over and over and over. Now his gills are injured.

He does not seem well in my eyes. He eats normally though. Perhaps someone over fed him while I was gone? I'm really worried, please help me!

ps. Water is fine.
nikkeita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #2 
Flashygrrl

Tank size? Water change schedule? Sounds like a swim bladder problem which can be due to constipation and overfeeding, injuries, or bacterial infections. Since you say you were gone and someone else was feeding him I'd go with answer number 1. In that case stop feeding him, see if you can get your hands on a cube of frozen daphnia (or get a can of freeze-dried and rehydrate a little bit it in tank water before feeding it) and see if you can get him to eat a bit of that. If you can't do that see if you can get some frozen peas (no salt), put a few in a cup with some water and nuke it for about 10-15 seconds, take a pea out and let it cool then pop the shell off and squish or cut it up and try feeding it to him. Daphnia's a more natural laxative for a betta but peas are better than nothing.

That being said, water changes really shouldn't wait till the water is "mucky" but again you said someone else was caring for him. I'd suggest keeping your tank water in pristine condition to help him heal and once you see him pass some poop he might be able to stay upright easier but still don't feed him as much as you'd normally feed him. You may wish to lower the water level a bit to help him get to the top and breathe air but remember that the water will get dirty quicker.

Aggression wise, I don't know. Maybe someone was tapping on the glass or making him flare a lot while you were gone?
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #3 
nikkeita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
Tank size? Water change schedule? ?
I change the water tank about once a week. You know, I went to the pet store and they told me that mucky water is what Betta are used to living in, so changing the water so offen isn't necessary. But I have a small tank, 1.5L without filters or heaters so, I was never too keen on following that idea.

Quote:
If you can't do that see if you can get some frozen peas (no salt), ?
Is feeding him the peas just a one time thing?

Quote:
Aggression wise, I don't know. Maybe someone was tapping on the glass or making him flare a lot while you were gone?
Any ways to help Tarzan be his loving, friendly self again soon?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

A gallon sized bowl or tank needs to be changed at least once or twice a week. I don't know why they would tell you at the pet store that bettas don't need their water changed very often. They also need to be fed every day, twice a day. I feed mine 2 pellets in the morning and two in the evening. I have mine in gallon sized bowls without filters or heaters but mine are kept in a very warm room upstairs. Their water needs to be at about 78-80 degrees.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #5 
nikkeita

Yea, I've had Tarzan for a while. His tank is small, I know. I bought a new tank with a filter and everything, but it looked as if Tarzan was having a hard time getting around. So then I just opted back to the smaller tank, because he was able to move around more freely.

I feed him twice a day. If I sense a little suspicion that someone has been feeding him without me around, I just drop it to two pellets a day as opposed to four. His tank has a light which is what usually keeps the water warm at night time. My room is relatively warm during the day, so he's fine otherwise. Plus I always keep an eye on the thermometre on his tank.

I clean the tank fully once a week. From what I understood, there was only partial cleaning every couple of days which is what I do also. Tarzan is very messy. haha but lately, I don't see any fishie poo. I just hope it's only constipation.

How much of the pea should I serve him? And also how offen?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #6 
Flashygrrl

Just try one mushed up for now and then don't feed him anything else.

OK, did you mean 1.5 gallon or 1.5 liters (you put 1.5L and I just want to clarify)

Yeah, 1.5 gallon tanks need a full cleaning 2-3 times a week, or like 5 partially cleanings. Did you try adjusting your other filter to as low as possible for Tarzan?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #7 
nikkeita

he pooped!!
I only fed him half of one. i'll give him the rest today.

I wasn't even aware that filters could be adjusted!
Yes, the tank is 1.5L (Litres)

He's still grumpy though:(
Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #8 
Flashygrrl

That's not even half of a gallon...can you get a bigger tank at all? 1/2 gallon tanks need their water fully changed at least every other day and there's no swimming room.

I'd like to see what kind of filter they'd make for that small of a "tank"...any pics?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #9 
nikkeita

Quote:
That's not even half of a gallon...can you get a bigger tank at all? 1/2 gallon tanks need their water fully changed at least every other day and there's no swimming room.

I'd like to see what kind of filter they'd make for that small of a "tank"...any pics?

Oh, its the 1 1/2L tank that has no filtre. The lager tank with the filter is probably about 2.5 gallons. The current was so strong for Tarzan to swim against. Or he'd just hide behind it. But I'll double check on all that and send pics of everything once I get my camera back. There is also something I need to get looked at on Tarzan's tail.

Tarzan pooped some more today, but he's still floating lopsided and hiding in the pebbles. I hope he'll feel better soon. He's swiming alot more freely now! :)
Old 08-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #10 
Flashygrrl

I'd try the 2.5 again as soon as he's better and able to swim upright. Just turn down the filter all the way (I bet it's a whisper internal filter and has the adjustment bar on the bottom of the filter).