Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #1 
angelfish11788

will this rack work

I am going to breed bettas and need a place for the boys, say each self hold 600 lbs, and nothing about evenily distrbute either, I want to sit 20 Long side by side on it. if not does anyone know of a shelf that leigh. that can do as such

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sandusky-...74-C/203251416
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #2 
Myates

I personally wouldn't put 2 20g longs on one shelf.. and with the shelf being long you're going to see it start bowing. But hard to say by just seeing a picture, I am the type that needs to see it in person to decide whether I trust it or not. I'm paranoid about tanks falling, etc lol

But.. it would be good for placing the breeding tanks on there, as well as the jars.. trust me, you'll need a lot of space for that :)

I use these stands for my grow out tanks - 2 tanks per stands, , relatively cheap.. easy to put together and as long as on solid ground (or close to it.. unsure how they would be on plush carpet) they are pretty sturdy. Haven't had any issues with mine. I use both the stands for 10 gallons and for 20L/29g tanks and love them.. only issue I have is if I use the bottom tank in the 10g for breeding, siphoning up the bottom can be a pain, so I save the bottom 10s for growing out plants rather than fry :)

If you can see that rack in person you should be able to judge.. 2 20L tanks will weigh 550lbs, which is close to the max limit.. but like I say, if the shelving is rather long, I'd consider that it could bow. But worth a shot if you want :) Test it out before you put fish in it and see how it holds.
Also consider the height of the tank vs the shelf.. make sure you have enough room on top of the tank to get your arm in there, move it around easily as you'll be vacuuming and catching fish regularly.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #3 
Jayloo

When I move I have decided that I'm going to spawn in ten gallons and maintain them to four weeks old. Then transfer them to a 55 gallon garbage tub/can for grow out. The disadvantage is that I won't be able to see the bottom or the fry. The upside is large space and it is waist high. Will place a HOB filter as 4 week ok fry are usually too big to be sucked up. I figure it will help tons with space issues.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #4 
angelfish11788

I see your point. Do you have an ideal for a rack or something. I'd rather pay a couple hundered for racks tha a few stands
Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #5 
angelfish11788

about this 2000lb per shelf, 2x 20 long and maybe a 10 or somthing
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-77-...8W-4/202251082
Old 05-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #6 
Myates

That rack would work it looks like.. I think it would be fine honestly. I am just paranoid, but with that much weight it can hold, I don't think you're going to have any issue with it bowing if it holds that much per shelf :)

And I'm actually looking at this and wondering if I could get it to work for me LOL.. just have to see whether or not I can house 29 gallons on it and give me room to get into the tank to clean, etc lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayloo View Post
When I move I have decided that I'm going to spawn in ten gallons and maintain them to four weeks old. Then transfer them to a 55 gallon garbage tub/can for grow out. The disadvantage is that I won't be able to see the bottom or the fry. The upside is large space and it is waist high. Will place a HOB filter as 4 week ok fry are usually too big to be sucked up. I figure it will help tons with space issues.
Four weeks is still rather young to move them.. you are probably going to want to wait until closer to 6 weeks if you are going to place them in a dark container like that... and even then, HOB isn't ideal. You should be having them with a sponge filter on very low within the first week.. keep in mind, they will need oxygen in the water the first 6-7 weeks. And at 4 weeks, can easily get sucked to the intake section of an HOB filter... why it's recommended to use sponge filters. I would think the soonest you could use an HOB filter would be nearer 3 months old.. but you'll need a sponge filter long before that.

Also, it may be a lot of water (gallon wise), but it's high.. not long.. which means less space for them as they will stay nearer the top.. so actually it's a disfavor to them rather than giving them more..

You will also want to reconsider using those garbage tubs.. with them being so black you won't be able to see what you are sucking up at the bottom with your vacuuming it.. at 4 weeks you can very easily suck up fry, and even with a strong light, the bottom will be black. Also, you don't want the fish to live in such blackness all the time.. they need to learn to adjust and accept light, etc.. being kept prolonged in the dark can damage their eyesight in some ways.. imagine living in a room painted black with very very little light for a couple months, then taken out and exposed to bright tank lights. Will stress them out, imo.

You can buy clear tubs that are 20-40 gallons, those would be better.

I could be completely wrong.. I just don't know anyone who keeps their grow outs in those large garbage containers.. just those tubs at the most.

Last edited by Myates; 05-11-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #7 
Jayloo

Yeah they actually sell a large clear one at tractor supply here. So the darkness wouldn't be an issue. I use sponge filters now for fry. I'm sure I'll experiment many different things to make it successful.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #8 
Jayloo

I still won't see the bottom well though because it will be tall/ vertical.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #9 
whatsupyall

Those tubs are okay, but sometimes petco have 40 gallon breeding tanks for 40 bucks! Personally, I like to keep my breeding tanks apart in different stands if possible. When you move stuff around, it's easier and won't disrupt other fry or pair that is breeding and whatnot. But those rack seem great. :)
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #10 
angelfish11788

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
Those tubs are okay, but sometimes petco have 40 gallon breeding tanks for 40 bucks! Personally, I like to keep my breeding tanks apart in different stands if possible. When you move stuff around, it's easier and won't disrupt other fry or pair that is breeding and whatnot. But those rack seem great. :)

the racks will just be for barrcks and deli cups. middle 2 will be barracks for breedin boys and holdbacks from a spawn top and bottem will probably be to hard to do tank water changes, so they will have the cups on them. also it will be run by heat tape
i will have a 40 breeder and 29 for grow out. and a couple of 10s in dif locations for actual spawn itself.