Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #1 
Bethaliz

Is My Betta okay?

I got a female betta to keep in my 2 gallon. After I got a 10 I figured with it already being cycled I might as well. So I got a lovely little blue betta. They sell them in these little bowl so you can't really see them. So when I got her home I noticed that her fins were all tattered. So I posted and the people on here said that in time they will repair themselves.

So she stays pretty much in the bottom, hiding under the bridge or swimming in the fake plant. Maybe a little around the tank but not much. One of the girls in my club just got a little tank and a red femal betta from WalMart. Her fish is in much better shape, I must say. No rips or tears. Her's swims all over the place very energetic.

So I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my betta?
Bethaliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #2 
beweeb

how long did you have the Betta
beweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #3 
Flashygrrl

Usually the ones that are all shredded have been in the cups entirely too long and end up lethargic like that. Give her some time and make sure the tank is kept clean, if you could get your hands on a couple indian almond leaves and put probably about half of one in there they leach tannins and a lot of good stuff into the water after soaking for a day or two. Makes the water darker which is soothing to the betta, too.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #4 
Bethaliz

Thanks for the infor. I've had the Betta about a week, maybe 10 days. The other person only just got hers this week. She's seems very lethargic. Now she's sitting at the top of the tank, but isn't moving. like breathing but just laying there, not horizontal, not vertical, head up? I'm not sure. I've changed the water twice since I've had her, just to keep it fresh. I treat the water before it goes in. did I just get a dud?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:20 PM   #5 
Bethaliz

Well She died. Sad. I don't know what happened or how to prevent it in the future.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your fish. You probably just had the bad luck of getting one that was sickly. Good luck with any you get in the future.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #7 
LEMONDROP

:( HI THERE,

I am sorry to hear about your little fish, she probably died due to stress related illness, The small bowls they are sold in are just not right, you did the best responsible thing putting her into a 2 gal tank, but sometimes that can be a little too late for these beautiful fish, These fish should be treated as all Tropical fish with suitable heating and filter, also places with in the tank to hide and to escape too if they feel threatened by anything, they can be very nervouse little fish for the most part of a month while they are getting used to you, It is common that they do not eat with in the first few days because it is quite stressful for them to be brought into a new enviroment, it was not a good sign her fins were ragged, but you can comfort yourself in the knowing you did everything you could for her, Hope this doesn't put you off having these beautiful fish. Good Luck for the future what ever you decide.
LEMONDROP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #8 
Flashygrrl

Guideline to buying bettas: Either pick out one that looks like he's been there a while and has the possibility of dying and ask to get either a discount on it or get it for free (don't buy it if they refuse, but make SURE you're polite), or pick out a healthy one that positively tries to kill you through the cup wall and pay full price.

It IS possible to "bring these guys back from the grave" but it takes some extra dedication and patience and doesn't always work.

IF they have a return policy: Save the body in the freezer, go buy a healthy one of it's breed(if you got a veiltail then get another veiltail), and then defrost the body and take it and the receipt back. If your return policy is still good on the first betta anyways, then disregard my instructions but you may as well still bring it back and get another one.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote