Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #1 
EmptyYourMindBeFormless

Got a King today, and a question...

I picked up a King Betta from PETCO today. I've been wanting one of these beasts for a while, so figured may as well get one now.

Looks wise, he's pretty standard as far as the Kings at PETCO go-- nothing too special. However, he caught my attention because he was flaring and going nuts at the other fish to the point where water was practically coming out of the feeding hole in his cup.

I decided to name him Bronson, after esteemed 20th century philosopher and scholar Charles Bronson.

I noticed a small tear in his anal fin upon closer inspection at the store, but his intensity made him too cool to pass up. I have some AQ salt on-hand and can pick up any additional meds tomorrow, but as it is just a small tear can I leave him be in warm, clean water to see if it heals itself? I understand the importance of using meds when necessary, but I also believe in the healing power of warm water.

Any advice would be appreciated.

**NOTE: This glass cube is not his permanent home. I just used it for a makeshift photoshoot (which turned out pretty bad)**

EmptyYourMindBeFormless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #2 
rmarkham

If your camera has a macro setting that might help!

He's very pretty and so big!

I wouldn't worry about meds just yet, it's amazing what warm, clean water can do. bit of vitachem in his food could help, as could a bit of garlic juice. Otherwise using a good conditioner such as Prime, or Stress Coat can do wonders. I'm a fan of Kordon's fish protector(you can find it on amazon). I don't like AQ salt because my tanks have live plants, and Kordon's will help produce a nice thick slime coat and promote healing.

If he's big and energetic, make sure all the holes in the top of your aquarium are covered... I had a king betta once, and he decided the carpet was a better place to be and found the one small hole in the back of his tank.

Can't wait to see more pictures of this magnificent beast!
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #3 
Fishy Mom

I love his color! I've only ever used clean warm water & stress coat for fin tears. If it's a bad tear I add extra water changes to the schedule just to be safe & prevent infection.

I'm dealing with a couple of fin nips since my gender bender situation in the sorority tank, lol.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #4 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyYourMindBeFormless View Post
I decided to name him Bronson, after esteemed 20th century philosopher and scholar Charles Bronson.
awesome name!

I'm waiting for a light colored petco king.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #5 
bniebetta

I would only use meds if it was affecting his health. Tears or nips and even finrot will usually just heal on their own so I wouldn'y recommend meds :)
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #6 
EmptyYourMindBeFormless

Thanks for the kind words and advice, everyone.

I will definitely ensure his water is regulated well, and hope for the best. I managed to get a decent pic of him (finally), and can't even notice the tear so I don't think it's too serious.

EmptyYourMindBeFormless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #7 
Stone

I bought his twin yesterday lol
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote