Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #1 
hemritclaeb

New Owner- Lots of Questions!

About a week ago I got my first betta hurray! His name is Squirrel and he is a blue and white half moon. He greets me when I come home and is very active. I got him knowing that his fins were mildly damaged. I did think he had an anchor worm on his anal fin but I think it's just a piece of his fin that sticks up from damage. He is in a 2.5 gal bowl, with a heater that keeps the tank at 84 F on average, sand for substrate, and a variety of live plants. I use spring water because I'm not comfortable with tap and conditioner, and I do a 30-50% change every 4 days.
Here's my questions:
1. The food says put enough in that he can eat in 5 minutes, but I'm pretty sure that he'll keep eating even if I keep putting food in for 30 minutes. What's the max I should feed him per day (I feed him twice)?
2. I have freeze dried krill for my hermit crabs. Can he eat this if I break it up?
3. He makes A LOT of bubbles, is there such thing as a betta making too many bubbles?
4. He's always swimming in tight places like under roots that are sticking out of the sand and between leaves. Is this just him entertaining himself or is he itching (he doesn't have any visible problems even when I look with a flashlight)?
5. Without the heater the water is a steady 73. With the heater it fluctuates between 82 and 86. Which sounds better for my fish?
6. I would like to add snails to the tank (Petco has these neat big ones). What sort of extra care do they require? And by adopting from Petco do I run an extra risk of bringing bad things into my tank? Their fish ALWAYS have ick, it's awful.

Thanks for any answers! I'm currently hopping between temporary houses and I really don't want anything to get over looked. Once I'm in a more permanent situation I hope to upgrade his home and spoil him more.

Also, I'm super interested in this labyrinth organ, if anyone has info on that.
hemritclaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #2 
10asartin

1. Feed him 2-3 pellets twice per day and fast 1 day per week
2. I don't see why not, but I would only use it as an occasional treat.
3. Nope, the more the merrier!
4. It is most likely just his personality, but keep an eye out for erratic behaviors like darting around his tank
5. Honestly, neither temperatures are ideal. 73 is a bit too cold and 82-86 is too much fluctuation and is pretty warm. I would recommend a temperature between 76-82 that doesn't fluctuate more than 2 degrees.
6. In a 2.5 gallon tank I would not add more than 1 snail and even then I would be cautious as they can quickly overrun a tank.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #3 
10asartin

Note that I would not recommend continuing to use spring water as it lacks many beneficial nutrients. I would switch to conditioned tap water as soon as possible. Switch over to conditioned tap gradually by mixing it with the spring water during water changes.

You mentioned that he has some fin damage. For this reason I would perform more frequent water changes to keep his water pristine as he recovers. It would also be very beneficial to invest in a water testing kit to monitor the water parameters. I would suggest the API liquid test kit, but if you don't want to spend that much money ($20) you could go with the less accurate 5 in 1 test strips.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #4 
hemritclaeb

Should I do every other day? And in that case would I change less. I don't want to stress him too much.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #5 
10asartin

There are several different methods you could use. However, if it was me I would do 50% every other day. It really shouldn't stress him too much. When my guy was ill I changed his 1 gallon hospital tank 100% daily and it didn't bother him one bit. The most important thing to keep stress down is to perform the changes quickly yet gently and make sure the new water is the same temperature as the tank water.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #6 
hemritclaeb

Sounds good to me. Also, I'm still trying to figure out the deal with that fin that sticks out. Should I take him out and tweeze the white thing off to make sure it's not an anchor worm? It's making me paranoid because it sounds like a tough infestation. And it's so hard to get a look at because it's tiny and when he moves his pelvic fin covers it. I can't get a good picture but it's a little white piece that sticks out near the front, bottom of his anal fin. It's not forked or anything and it's about half a centimeter (if that) long. His fins are all white tipped so it's hard to see. Should I just take the precaution? Thanks for all of your help!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #7 
10asartin

To be honest I am not very familiar with parasites. I don't think you should attempt to remove it though. I would message one of the more experience moderators on the forum and ask them about it.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #8 
hemritclaeb

Ah I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum stuff xP. How do I do that?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #9 
10asartin

To message someone you just click on their name and then select the "send a private message to..."
Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

For 2.5 gall you need to do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes. You also need to acclimate your betta when you do 100% water changes so you don't shock him with drastic temp change.
If you want to add something to his tank always quarantine it , especially that you saying that the store you go has ich . So quarantine the snail first to make sure it health. Not sure how you know if snail healthy though.
Keep eye on him if you think it external parasites. Fish would dart, rub against anything. I don't like to keep my fish in 84* because i think the warmer is the temp -more chance for infection. But if you think that he might have ext parasites 84* is actually will help to speed up the parasites cycle and help to fell them faster. So you actually better to do daily water changes. If you can put him in the hospital tank or you can treat him in his tank. For external parasites you need to use aquarium salt that will dehydrate them. And you need to do daily 100% water changes .
If you have live plants just take them out and put them in the water without dehlorinator for a few weeks. No host parasites will die.
In case you think he has parasites(ext) Pre mix 3tsp/gall aq salt make sure it dissolved before you add it in the tank . Do daily water changes. If you have other fish DO NOT share anything between them because all of them will get parasites.

When fish make bubble nest it doesn't mean anything if he is healthy or sick , it just natural instinct .
I am going to put acclimation instructions for you ....
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote