Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #1 
Skyr

Roped into the hobby: My first Betta

Well I didn't go to the Petsmart to get a betta today, but to get plants to set up the aquarium to get one another day. Except I had to stop and look and fell in love with two males.. I had to choose one or the other, and I picked the one that seemed more active and had a beautiful red to his fins, but a teal-ish body. The other was all blue except the blue faded to white at the tips. He was quite gorgeous as well.. A part of me wants to run back and put the 5 gallon to use for him. @_@

So here are some pictures! (They are cell pictures, so sorry for quality. Seems my good camera has eaten all the batteries)

First those of when he was in his cup:

I'm in love with his colour, I don't regret getting him at all. Petsmart labled him as a Halfmoon, as I'm new to the hobby I can't be as certain. I have seen him flare a few times on the trip home, he saw his reflection at the bottom of the cup and was trying to attack his reflection.

My tank was basically set up when I got him, all I needed to do was add plants to the tank. He had a rather stressful introduction, for both of us. Somehow his cup cracked while I was floating it in the tank water and while trying to move him to a new container to continue it properly he jumped out of the water entirely.. So I scooped him up and put him in the tank because by that point I had knocked over the cup with his water in it anyhow. He had been floating for a good hour though and had begun to mix waters. He seems fine though.

Here's his tank and some photos of him swimming around. He seems both curious and skittish of me, but he doesn't hang out only at the bottom, and he did eat a pellet or two that I dropped in while he went up for a breath.

Tank was still a bit filled with airbubbles on the walls, so it was harder to take some pictures. I had a friend mention he looked animu sparkling.

I'm debating on names for him.. and whether I should continue with the Doctor Who theme (I have a cyberman head cave in the 5 gallon since I ran out of room in the 10 gallon) by naming him Rory the Roman.. or just Doctor.. or Ten, my favorite Doctor..

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Skyr; 05-10-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Skyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #2 
Skyr

Also, he looks healthy to me. Active, and such. However, if you notice something I as unexperience fish keeper might have missed? (ie. finrot, I have read what it looks like but reading and seeing are two different things) Let me know. Thanks.

Sorry for the double post, I guess editing is limited to a short period after posting.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

Not only is he lovely but he has his very own TARDIS!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #4 
Stone

He is pretty, is that a tardis salt shaker? and he looks fine I would keep an eye on his fins I know that the black edge is just his coloring I have a few with that, always makes me nervous though lol
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #5 
Skyr

No, it's actually a resin aquarium decoration. I fell in love with the Doctor Who aquarium and had to find the Tardis separately (cause $82 for a 3.9 gallon is awfully overpriced). Although I was forced to overpay for shipping.. Buut alas, I'm happy with it. It is a little cave as well.

Also have a cyberman head cave that's bigger than the Tardis, but there was no room for it in 10 gallon.. I got that locally. Petland wouldn't sell Tardis separate from the tank, wanting to get the most out of it.

I've begun to think about calling him Captain Jack...
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #6 
Stone

Very cool, and yes anything you put in a fish tank is overpriced!!!!!!!!
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

Like in "Torchwood?"
Old 05-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #8 
Skyr

Hm, yes I guess now that I think on it they've branched from Doctor Who with Torchwood. xD Still very much a Doctor Who reference.. haven't actually seen Torchwood yet.

Can you tell I'm a bit obsessed atm?
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

Did you see this?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/doctor-who-resin-ornament
Old 05-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #10 
Skyr

Oh yes, those are the same ones I have. The helmet, and the Tardis.

The Dalek's I saw at Petland too but their gun/laser portion is very sharp and I didn't want to risk putting a betta in with them. The other cybermen ones I'm not fond of. I might consider getting the cyberman figure though.. Kind of hidden among the plants..