Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #1 
bettaman12

New Betta Tank Owner to Be

Ok I have been wanting a new Betta community tank for a long time now and originally wanted a 10 gallon tank but I have decided to get a 25 gallon tank so I won't regret getting too small of a tank in the future. I am also going all out on my tank because I wan't it to look the best of the best. Here is my list of supplies I am getting:
Aqueon 25 Gallon Premier Kit
4 African Dwarf Frogs
1 Male Betta
12 Cherry Shrimp
1 Mystery Snail
5 Dwarf Corydoras
5 Kuhli Loaches
Extra-Hydor Sponge Filter iii
NLS Small Fish Formula(or Betta formula which is better)
Hikari Frozen Blood Worms
Gravel Vacuum
Seachem Ammonia Alert
Zoo Med Betta Hammock
Zoo Med Floating Betta Log
Frog Pellets
API Test Kit
Driftwood
Micro Sword (P)Dwarf Sag (P)Red Wendtii Crypt (P)Anubias Barteri (P)Amazon Sword (P)Cabomba (Bunch) Contortion Val (Ind)Wisteria (Bunch) Diandra (Bunch)
Eco Complete Gravel
Nutra Fin Plant Gro
Dr. TIm's One and Oly
Algae Wafers
Bottom Feeder Tablets.
I was wondering if this is good. Any recommendations? Also what medicines should I get. I have dechlorinator, API Stress Coat, Aq salt and Epsom salt.
Another thing, my mom is soooooooooo opposed to be bringing a tank into the house! Even though its in my room and I'm old enough to earn the money through working to pay for all of it, she still isn't budging. Any suggestions to help her understand how wonderful the world of fish is? Thanks!
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hmm, mom is always an interesting subject. I would wait until you know she's in a really good mood and ask her again. Or make a bargain with her, show her that you can be responsible for something so like make a bargain that you'll do all your homework (assuming you are still in school?) or clean the kitchen for her (until you get the tank) or something along those lines :)

You're set up looks fairly good, although I'm not sure you'd need the Seachem Ammonia Alert.

Do you know about Cycling your tank and all?

And you'll just have to make sure that Mr. Betta can live in a community setting, each Betta is different when it comes to this. Some of mine freak out in a community while others are happy to lazily swim around, greeting each fish lol

For the meds what you have is a good stock.

Oh for plants, I suggest getting floating Water Sprite, it's one of my favorite plants that I recommend to pretty much anyone who has a betta haha. They're wonderful floaters and help block out a little bit of light for your Betta since they don't like bright lights and can go blind for very bright lights over time. It kind of sucks because the plants you have under it can't be high light plants but that's where you just throw the driftwood and java fern and call it a day haha. But regardless, all my Betta's sleep in their plants and play in it throughout most of the day, really adorable!

And I think that's it so far ^^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #3 
bettaman12

Yeah I know! My mom can be very adamant about these things. I am still in school and she's impressed with my grades I showed her today so maybe today's the lucky day . :) Yeah I'm probably not going to get the Seachem Ammonia Alert. Also, by fairly good, do you mean I should get more? I am also providing plenty of hiding places for the betta to hide from the light, if that is ok. I really like these plants but would be willing to get any of these.http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Live-Plant-Packages.aspx
I have had small 8 gallon community tanks with bettas before and some of them i had to put in a new 2.5 gallon because they wouldn't cope with the members of the other tank. I guess its just luck. I've read a lot about cycling and I'm using Dr. Tims One and Only Nitrfying Bacteria with Ammonium Chloride to cycle it. I'll get Water Sprite too because the tank kit that's the best and most economical already comes with a T5 light. So i'll try to help the betta cope with Terracotta pots for hiding too. Any other suggestions? What about Kanaplex and stuff for meds?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh no, you don't need more, I was literally saying that it looks good ^^

That's great about the grades! Maybe she will if you ask her nicely. Pestering her isn't going to help any though, I went through that with my mom as well :)

As long as you have a back up plan for Mr. Betta if things don't work out, sometimes their personalities can change when in a different setting, but you've seen that already with the 8 gallon you had :)

Make sure you boil the pots before you put them in so that no bacteria and other stuff get into the tank, I made that mistake with a rock once, well I was very young but that's besides the point haha.

I don't know much about other meds than the ones I have and I've only heard of Kanaplex in passing so maybe someone else can comment one that one for you to help out. But Aquarium salt and Epsom salt can pretty much go a long way if you catch things early. That's what I ususally do if I catch something early, I diagnose it and use either the aq. salt or epsom, which ever one is needed. Then if it's too far along i'll go ahead and use the respective medications.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #5 
bettaman12

Ok, thank you so much! Also, i plan on buying different foods when it runs out. I'll always feed NLS (which is better though, small fish formula, or Betta formula?) pellets and blood worms for the frogs. When i run out of blood worms though, can i buy frozen brine shrimp, and then when that runs out frozen tubifex worms? I just don't want to make my little Betta stressed out with too much variety. :) And is it ok if I use the tank with T5 lights but provide plenty of hiding space for the Betta and the ADF's (I just read that they don't like strong light either). I've heard this is a really good product. http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Floati.../dp/B0027ITKBS Any other suggestions you may have about anything would be much appreciated! This forum has really opened me up to a world of kind and giving people willing to spread their knowledge with everyone who seeks it! Thanks so much, and thank you for making my betta-to-be very comfortable and happy!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh they won't be stressed out with too much variety haha. I feed my girls and guys NLS Betta Formula because I like it better and a mix of Omega One Betta Pellets and then Freeze Dried Bloodworms as a treat on Saturday before I go to my moms for a few days.

And they'll be fine with the stronger lights, my boys are under flourescents and LED lighting with the water sprite and I've never had problems with it. And yes the floating log is great, or so I've also heard. I've never gotten it because I always felt like it was too much money (College kind of takes up all my money haha) but I've heard that everyone who uses it loves it and so do their bettas!

I'm super happy that you enjoy the forum! I too felt the same way when I joined, I was just overwhelmed with how friendly most people were on here and of course to share their combined knowledge is the best! It made all my betta's that much happier!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #7 
bettaman12

Ok Thanks again so which of these plant kits would you recommend except the hard to swallow one: http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Live-Plant-Packages.aspx
Old 05-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #8 
Stone

The only warning I will give is about feeding time with the algae waffers, some bettas do not care and will eat those and will over fed and get bloated and so on, other than that looks good, on the meds maybe get some like api general cure and some fungus ich treatment stuff other than that I would wait be it they do expire and you usually have time to go get them if needed

Last edited by Stone; 05-11-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #9 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

That sounds good. I would recommend having a small heated tank incase of emergency. If a fish gets sick and you must qt
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #10 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
That sounds good. I would recommend having a small heated tank incase of emergency. If a fish gets sick and you must qt
Oh yes I have a 2.5 gallon QT filtered, heated, and in a dark area ready for use if any fish get sick.