Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #11 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
The only warning I will give is about feeding time with the algae waffers, some bettas do not care and will eat those and will over fed and get bloated and so on, other than that looks good, on the meds maybe get some like api general cure and some fungus ich treatment stuff other than that I would wait be it they do expire and you usually have time to go get them if needed
Really? That is some valuable information that I didn't know of before. I'm going to be feeding the algae wafers at night because most bottom feeders feed at night, but i'll try to watch to be sure my betta doesn't eat them. I also have three of these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=15485 I'll use that to feed my ADF's so the betta doesn't eat their blood worms. I might use one of the others to hold my betta in while doing water changes and for feeding time. It hangs on the inside of the tank in the water so the temperature remains the same. Pretty nifty thing they made if you ask me! :)
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #12 
bettaman12

Oh and I was thinking of adding sand to the tank and using computer transparency sheets to divide the sand and gravel so they don't mix. Is that ok? (sand is for the Kuhli Loaches) Also, should I get otos, cories, or plecos?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #13 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Okay that sounds great!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Why not just do all sand? It's a heck of a lot easier to maintain than half and half. I had looked into doing half and half myself but it won't matter what you do because eventually that gravel will mix in with the sand, especially since Dwarf Corydoras like to play in it (I also have them and love them), they kick it around sometimes as well. I find Sand a lot easier to clean as well since you only have to vacuum the top portion, sometimes you'll vacuum up sand but it will just fall back into the tank if you pinch the hose a minute while siphoning. But eventually you get used to it.

And it's up to you which ones you want, I personally have 6 Dwarf Cory cats and 1 Bristlenose pleco as well as driftwood for her to munch on. Also each do something a little different. Cory's are scavengers and will eat anything on the bottom from pellets, flakes to wafers to veggies. Plecos and Otos do similar things where they eat algae but I believe they eat different kinds of it, as well as bio-film. Cory's are also hardier than Oto's which is why I chose them over Otos.

My girls go after any wafers I put in there, so I usually break one in half and then in half again and just put in the two pieces. I usually feed them a few NLS pellets while I throw in the wafer bits for the cories but they eventually find the wafers and take them away from the cories. I don't feed wafers every day though, it's usually every three days or so. And then I alternate to flakes and Omega One, letting most of the flake bits sink so the cories and pleco can get at them. And then everyone fasts on Monday and Tuesday because I'm not home :) But I always feed a big meal Sunday morning to hold them over.

and as far as those plant packs go the Amazon Basin plant pack is nice but I really like the Tropical Paradise one, little pricey but it's got some great plants. Just make sure you've got "high" lighting. I don't know the exactly wattage it is to have high lighting but I'm sure you could post that on here somewhere to get an answer.

Have you ever checked out ThatPetPlace.com? It's got some great plants packs and more than Petsolutions. Just an idea or future reference, it's literally where I get all my stuff because they're usually cheaper than the rest. Here's one that similar to the Tropical Paradise one but much cheaper: http://www.thatpetplace.com/jungle-a...gallons-234087 and more plants I believe. But here's all the others if you like: http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquarium...s#!plant-packs

(Sorry for the long post >< I can get overzealous sometimes)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #15 
bettaman12

Actually, I'm gonna stick with my substrate because I read its pretty smooth. I'll get cories and plecos and kuhli loaches. THANK YOU for showing be That PetPlace.com! It is sooooo cheap!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #16 
bettaman12

I'll get some of my stuff from ThatPetPlace.com but i still might use Amazon for a lot because I have prime! Thanks for telling me about it though!!!!!!! I'm so excited for the tank! I cleaned up around the house and I'm getting a real nice thing for Mother's Day so hopefully she'll agree to let me get the tank!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh no problem! I love that site so much :D Glad to share it when I can!

As long as it's smooth, Cory's barbels are still very sensative and get hurt very easily by gravel. And all three of them? Which kinds of pleco are you going to get?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #18 
RussellTheShihTzu

Make sure none of the meds you buy contain copper. It will kill you RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp). However, that may be a moot point since the frogs will probably eat them.

I am methodical so I Googled "African Dwarf Frogs and shrimp" and found out it's a no-no.

Speaking of ADFs, you'll have to feed them separately to make sure they get enough food. Some people put their Betta in a breeding cube attached to the tank when they feed their ADFs. Or, you can do the opposite and put the ADFs in the cube at feeding time. I suggest you start out with one ADF until you get the hang of the feeding thing.

You'll also need LOTS of hiding places for the ADFs. Either heavy plant cover or caves.

One thing I find invaluable if a pair of aquatic plant tweezers. They are about 14" long and you can use them to pick up any uneaten wafers, target feed the ADFs, etc.

Perhaps to convince your Mom about the aquarium you could use the 2.5 gallon your already have with just a Betta. Or, you could ask for a larger tank (5 gallons) and so you can have an ADF or RCS. Ask your Mom if you take good care of the smaller tank can you get the larger tank for Christmas? Or your birthday. You could use your own money for the plants, food, etc.

Just some thoughts.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #19 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Oh no problem! I love that site so much :D Glad to share it when I can!

As long as it's smooth, Cory's barbels are still very sensative and get hurt very easily by gravel. And all three of them? Which kinds of pleco are you going to get?
I'm getting Eco-Complete Substrate. I've read that people have succesfully kept cories and loaches with it. I'm getting dwarf cories and dwarf plecos.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You keep saying "cories and Loaches" and then go to "dwarf cories and dwarf plecos" so which one is it? Also there are many varieties of "dwarf" plecos that grow to various sizes, make sure you do research before you buy anything!

And Eco-Complete is pretty good I've heard from some members here! :)