Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #41 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Hey just want to add something to the list:) I tried to read very briefly all pages , i am at work don't have a change to be on the computer a lot:) Not sure may be someone already mentioned about aquarium salt and epsom salt . I am recommending to have it on hands if you going to have a betta. Aquarium salt is very helpful with external problems like injuries,wounds,external parasite, fin damage/rot.
Epsom salt for buoyancy, swim bladder problems,constipation,internal parasites..etc

Also it will be good if the filter is bouble what your tank size is. For 10 gall-20 with betta though you have to baffle it . Bettas don't like strong currents.
And you need to do weekly water changes along with gravel vacuuming , filter media swish/rinse .
This is the link about water change for cycled tank. But the instructions for one betta only so you might need more water changes a week.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
I mentioned in the first original post that I have aq salt and epsom salt. :) I am also get the aqueon 30 filter(made for up to 45 gallons) and a sponge filter made for up to 30 gallons, so total filtration for up to 75 gallons. I also have a water bottle and sponge baffle idea ready! Yes, I am familiar with cycling and I already have a water change schedule! :)
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #42 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
and also quarantine any new fish and new plant. Do not put it in the tank until you know it not sick and contaminate the tank. And even with bettas i like to have them in the hospital tank before i put them in the already set up tank. In case it sick and you going to end up with disinfection. Sometimes bettas don't show any symptoms of the sickness until later ...
Yeah, I always do that with my fish and plants.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #43 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post

You've done a lot of homework on this but be sure you are extra careful with the frogs, they tend to carry different diseases and carry a high, high bio-load. I wanted some for my community tank but the downsides were just to much to risk.

I'd say waiting on the fish that look like snakes are probably a good idea since your mom is already leary of another tank already.

Is she leary because your old tank started to leak? Or just because she doesn't want pets?
I've heard that ADF's can harbor Salmonella but I will be using gloves while handling all aquatic life. I'm not too worried about the bio-load because I'm getting two filters that provide a total filtration capacity of 75 gallons in a 25 gallon tank. The power filter is also baffled. I'm not going to get the Kuhli Loaches after all but thats not why my mom doesn't want the tank. We have a dog but she is so opposed to fish for some unknown reason! You know moms sometimes!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #44 
bettaman12

And ok after I test out the ghost shrimp, can i just add cherry shrimp and blue velvet shrimp?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #45 
RussellTheShihTzu

Yep.

IMO you should give them several weeks but others may disagree and have very valid reasons why you don't have to wait. I waited because sometimes predators wil ignore shrimp for a month and then ZAPPO! New treats! I was really, really lucky.

Am getting two Dwarf Crayfish and 4 Thai micro crabs for each tank next week. I have make certain they get enough to eat because they are slow eaters.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #46 
bettaman12

My mom is finally letting me get the tank after we come back from Washington D.C.!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #47 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Woohoo! That's great news! Congratulations!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote