Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hypothetical Question

Sorry if this does not go in this section, we can move it if it doesn't fit.

So a hypothetical Question. I have my two baby Bettas (who I'm 99.9 certain they are both boys as I am seeing no ovaries, but who know what will come of it!) they are both being housed in a split 3 gallon.

Well it was split, but since Steve is a magical fish who can apparently phase through the divider, I had to put him in his 1 gallon critter keeper which is floating in the 3 gallon with Tony.

Now they can see each other perfectly, and as expected both are stressed. But is it possible (and this is hypothetical) that they would get used to each other eventually? I mean, I would never house them together, but if they stayed side by side with perfect views of each other?

I know that in a split situation Betta's normally flare for about 2 weeks and then settle down after that, but I was just thinking about Steve and Tony growing up next to each other if that would have any effect on them other can being super stressed out or anything?

Steve alternates between stress stripes in the morning and then the rest of the day he's got vertical stripes which I am assuming they are just submission stripes and not actual breeding stripes since they aren't of age anyway. He also colors up insanely well with his vertical stripes and then fades with stress stripes. I assume that's normal as well?

Anywho, yeah, just a hypothetical question here and of course if they both turn out to be males as well.

Oh I just thought of something else, will they be effected if one happens to be girl and one happens to be boy other than one getting egg bound when they mature?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #2 
Stone

It really depends on the specific fish, I have some that barely notice eachother and 1 that will spend all of his time trying to kill the other fish no stop, and yes if one if a girl they will get egg bound
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

But I'm just wondering if they grew up together. I assume each will have their personality and it won't waiver much as they grow? Or can it change and become more docile.

I figured she would get egg bound, and I can't word what I want to ask properly lol. Side effects of not being able to think right, I guess I was aiming more for psycologically but then again, fish aren't humans and males are males and females are females right? So I take back that question haha
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly, I have males and females that live in the same tanks together (my wilds not splendens) and who never spawn and I have yet to have a female turn up egg-bound. The males build nests in some of the tanks and I assume the hormone levels would be zinging around everywhere, and while the females are always plump they have never shown any signs of being egg-bound.

I think some people greatly inflate the frequency of egg binding in female bettas. A healthy female betta should be able to expel or absorb her eggs.

Most bettas are stressed when you first put them next to each other. Some fish are extremely submissive/sensitive and so can't live like that without stress. Others just get used to the visual presence of another fish and start to pay less and less attention to what their neighbour is doing.

It all depends on the two fish involved.

If you moved Steve to an entirely new tank, this could be why he is showing signs of stress. I would give it a couple of weeks and if he still looks unhappy, either block his view or move his tank away.

Also forgot to add, none of my 50 odd female splendens ever became egg-bound. Not even when a male was living in their sorority.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great info, thanks LBF.

I had Steve moved to a different tank out of the view of everyone for a week and he seemingly hated it. He was paler than when I bought him from the store. So that was when I had moved him back in with Tony and he colored up immediately upon seeing him. And then of course complications with the divider came up and found them with each other four different times >< But nothing came of it thankfully.

But I fixed the divider and am putting them back together in the same tank so unless he's got the ability to actually phase through or jump four and a half inches over the barrier, he's not getting through haha.

But thanks, I think I have my answer now although still uncertain about the question XD

Maybe I misinterpretted what egg-bound really is? If you could explain it a little more that would be great. I always assumed it was just when she got eggy and ready to mate while a male was in her view. But now it seems as though she could stay like that if she happened to be unhealthy?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

I think that's just called being eggy. All my females are eggy a lot of the time because they are in with males and because they are consistently fed a diet that most people only use when conditioning.

I was always under the assumption that egg binding was when the female was unable to either absorb or expel her eggs and so became sick from that.

Bettas are also experts at getting through/under/around/over dividers. I had two males nearly kill each other and I couldn't work out how they got in together until I saw one wriggling on his side through a small gap between the divider and the substrate. I think they do it just to keep you on your toes haha.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, that makes much more sense! I have my girl Mystique who I thought might be egg-bound or either that she's just fat all the time. There had been a time when she was in view of another male because of a funky situation I had going on, they were never together just could see each other until I figured out and had to put a paper between them. But I never saw her drop her eggs, she's slimmed down but she still looks a little eggy still even before being fed. Although she could just be fat haha.

Yes, I think they really do it to keep me on my toes!! But right now I've got two sheets of mesh sewn together and I've just put sand in today so that would take care of any holes on the bottom. I think he was just wriggling in through the bottom, but so far so good. There's absolutely no gaps thus far but we'll see what times does lol
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah it's perfectly fine for females to be on the plump side. Some females really balloon up and as long as they are healthy otherwise I would not worry too much.

They are such sneaky fish. I swear they know they are not supposed to get into the other side because they never actually do it when you are watching.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good good ^^

Yeah, seriously! If this divider doesn't work...I don't know what I'm going to do! lol I mean I have the extra tanks, just not the space for them to be next to each other at least. Steve still gets his stress stripes when he's not in view of Tony, but I think it's just his age? Not sure, either way he's swimming around happily like a healthy betta so I'm not too worried about him. Tony on the other hand I'm worried and need to post about him and perhaps and epsom salt since he seems to be having trouble staying down.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #10 
Backlash

I have never had any luck with tempoary dividers, the fish always seem to get by them, resulting in 2 very sad looking fish..

I am currently dividing some 16 gal tanks, and I am using glass held in with silicone sealant to effectively make 2 tanks in one.. The two tanks that I have set up, one has been up and running for a week, and the other was done yesterday.. I have silk plants placed along the divider so as to obscure as much of the other tank as possible, but they can still see each other..

The one that has been going for a week houses 2 males, Harley and Oliver (Oliver is my avater).. It's quite funny when you think about it.. Prior to being placed in his new home, Harley spent some time in a breeder box/net in a tank with my boy Noah.. Noah couldnt have cared less (no flaring), but Harley flared and tried to break out of the breeder box every time Noah came near him..

NOW, Harley shares a tank with Oliver, they both flared like crazy for a day or two, but now Harley swims around quite content, where Oliver still flares as soon as he sees Harley...

Cheers
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote