Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 
Nowaykittay

Smile betta and platy/molly fry?

I recently upgraded my male betta from a 2.5 g unfiltered tank to a 10 g (filter comes in on wednesday!) and hes loving it! i also have a 20 g community tank with cory cats platys and mollys. the platys and mollys just recently gave birth and the tank is getting over crowded fast. i was hoping to add some of the fry into the 10 g with my betta while theyre still too young to get pregnant. the fry are around a month or two old so they can pretty much handle themselves but i worry about how to introduce them into the 10 g. any suggestions?
Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #2 
Canis

Personally, my betta hated platys and mollys. It could be different for you though. Make sure they aren't small enough that the betta can eat them. To introduce them, I would take the betta out, rearrange the tank a bit, add the platys and mollys first, and then add the betta back in. Thats how I did it. All bettas might react differently with other fish, so you may have better results than I did. Good luck!
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #3 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis View Post
Personally, my betta hated platys and mollys. It could be different for you though. Make sure they aren't small enough that the betta can eat them. To introduce them, I would take the betta out, rearrange the tank a bit, add the platys and mollys first, and then add the betta back in. Thats how I did it. All bettas might react differently with other fish, so you may have better results than I did. Good luck!
He seems pretty calm and he doesn't eat ANYTHING that I haven't hand fed him (its really obnoxious) so hopefully he won't make a meal of them. I'm wondering if I should add more ornaments so everyone can claim a territory?
Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #4 
peachii

I would recommend putting them in a breeder box that is clear and hang them in the tank for a few days. My king loves his tank mates, the tetras pick on him more than he picks on them, they come up behind him and poke him with their nose (there is only 2, they came with a tank we got off craigslist) and he mostly just ignores them. I also agree on rearranging the tank a bit, that is a good idea whenever putting any new fish in with a betta.

Maybe if they are in there as they grow, they will get along fine because they won't be bigger than or the same size as him when you put them in.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote