Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #1 
iwoosa

Discoloration Concern or Help ?

I've had my betta for about 10months now and changed the water weekly (1/2 and 3/4), feed it 1-2 times a day (various pellets/flakes). It is in a 5.5 gallon tank with heater and filter.

Recently his fins have turned white and it seems to me that the white portions are getting bigger. What is it ? Is it normal ? Should i be concerned ? How do i prevent it ? HELP please.

Thank You

ps: new to this site
Attached Images

iwoosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Looks like he's a marble!

That means that he can change color at any given time, over time he will stop changing color but it's nothing to be worried about ^^ He's very pretty!

EDIT: although now that I look at his tail, does it have black edges on it or anything? Has it been deteriorating? The white spots are still fine.

Oh yeah and Welcome to the forum! :D I hope you enjoy your stay! Feel free to ask us anything, no mater if you think it's silly or not :) It's what we're here for!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #3 
iwoosa

Actually yes, the edges do seem a little black. Not really sure about the deteriotion. What is it and what do I do ? I'm new to fish care (recieved betta as a gift) and done some reading but knowledge through others is definitely a plus.

Thanks for the speedy response.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha no problem, I treat this site like a religion XD

Is it possible to get a clearer picture so I can see if it's just coloration or actual fin rot?

But in case it is fin rot you're going to need to get some Aquarium Salt. You can do 1 teaspoon per gallon, dissolve the salt before you put it in. It might be easier to do this in a hospital tank, or any small container you may have. You should do 100% water changes on that small container each day to help get rid of any rot that might be on him.
To keep him warm you can float him in the container in his original tank unless you have a small 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon tank laying around :)
But the rot should go away in about 4 days or so, basically when you stop seeing black edges is when you can stop the salt treatment. However do not use salt more than 14 days, it is bad for their liver and kidneys.

After the rot is gone you can get something called Stress Coat, it's a water conditioner so you don't have to use that AND your regular conditioner when you change waters. You use double dose of the Stress Coat (there should be directions on the back for fin healing) and just do two water changes in a week, both can be 25% or whatever you feel is adequate. But basically warm, clean water is what will do the trick!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #5 
iwoosa

Oh! I actually have aquarium salt already Is the hospital tank mandatory or can I put salt in the aquarium itself? just wondering since i dont have a spare tank.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I've never done a treatment in a larger tank because I had been told to do large water changes everyday. Here's a link to what I use to follow: http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html

You can also use tupperware containers or any plastic ware containers as well, but ONLY if they have not seen any sort of soap as soap is toxic to fish. So if you have some new ones laying around that would work, you'd just have to measure out the right amount of salt and dissolve it before you put it in the tank :)

But if you don't, you can put in 5.5 teaspoons of salt (make sure you dissolve it first, otherwise it burns) and then change out half the water everyday until the rot goes away. It discourages any bacteria growth when doing water changes. And then only put more salt in as much as you took out. So if you took out about 2.5 gallons of water, you can put it 2.5 teaspoons of salt since it doesn't evaporate.

But again, if I could have a more clear picture that'd be better because you might not even have to go through all of that!

Tags
betta, cure, disease, fin, rot