Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #71 
Fenghuang

There are many versions of the story, but here is the simplest one for those of you who never heard of it.

"An old man had a habit of early morning walks on the beach. One day, after a storm, he saw a human figure in the distance moving like a dancer. As he came closer he saw that it was a young woman and she was not dancing but was reaching down to the sand, picking up a starfish and very gently throwing them into the ocean.
"Young lady," he asked, "Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?"
"The sun is up, and the tide is going out, and if I do not throw them in they will die."
"But young lady, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it? You cannot possibly make a difference."
The young woman listened politely, paused and then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves,
saying, "It made a difference for that one."
The old man looked at the young woman inquisitively and thought about what she had done. Inspired, he joined her in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved."

Source: http://www.starfishcharity.org/about...spiration.aspx
Adapted from "The Star Thrower," by Loren Eiseley
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #72 
madmonahan

I have heard that story before, it's a great inspiring story. ^_^
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #73 
jadaBlu

My guy Gossamer that looks like your fish is not very big. What happened is he stayed narrow and got a little longer. He looks tiny. It's kind of funny he's all tail. I am glad he's doing well. Thanks for sharing the Starfish story it will be on my screen saver. It makes me feel better as well. I am reaching capacity by the amount of time I have to clean tanks. If I wasn't a student I could do more.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #74 
Fenghuang

Don't thank me; tilli was the one that brought it up and Skye is the reason I know this story in the first place.

Pictures as of this morning. I've had Fang in my care for 16 days now. Not much change since the last update. I am a little worried about his fins. They do not seem to be growing at all. I started the aquarium salt treatment Thursday, in case it is the beginning of fin rot. Other than that, I'm noticing that he is not very responsive, not even to food or mirrors. I am disheartened, since he was so feisty and active before.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #75 
Fenghuang

Another theory is that he is tailbiting. Because I saw a clean chunk missing from his tail and then it started to fray over the course of a few days. I don't get why his fins are not improving. Phoenix, his next-tank neighbor, tore his fin in three places the other day, and it was fully healed the next morning.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #76 
Skyewillow

Have you tried covering a couple of the sides of his tank? It might help with the overstimulation leading to tail biting. And maybe a hammock or a coffee mug would give him a quiet place to hide if it gets to be too much for him.

Idk, just thinking out loud, I guess.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #77 
Fenghuang

Alright, I added a coffee mug. Hopefully, he will take to it and use it.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #78 
eden000

Just wanted to drop in and say I'm really enjoying reading all the updates! Good luck!
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #79 
cheylillymama

I <3 fang. He's so cute. I hope his fins start to heal up soon. You're doing a great job!
Wish i could get pics to work from my phone, my rescued boy, the yellow one, looks to be a grizzle. He's colored up beautifully with pink and blue irid, and his central's are regrowing.
The littlegirl i got looks like she's gonna be pink! She looked cambo, but she's darkening up now. I planted the 5 gal tanks they are in! The girl, Bonnie, really digs her flame moss patch and the male sleeps on top of the coffeefolia in his tank.
:)
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #80 
Fenghuang

Fang's dead.

I came home from school and his lifeless body was just laying on the glass pebbles.