Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #1 
tissue

Good aquarium gravel

Hey,
Recently I've noticed that the cheap gravel I purchased from petsmart 8 months ago is starting to turn white (it started black) and the glass in my fish tank has a powder film on it. I can only assume that this is from the gravel paint coming off so I've decided to invest in some new gravel. (Note* I have cleaned this gravel multiple times, trying to get this powder off but more is always coming off). I took one of the pebbles out of my aquarium and used scissors to cut and it looks like they are just plastic balls painted with bad paint. I've been looking around trying to find aquarium gravel that isn't painted but its really hard to tell what is real.

My searching initally started at local pet stores and I found some polished pebbles from petsmart that to me looked real:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...2&clickid=cart
I asked this question on yahoo answers and some people were saying this looked like bad gravel. I can't tell myself if these are real rocks or just plastic balls painted like what I currently have so I'm skeptic to buy them. I was told to check out this site so I'm re-asking here as I think I'll probably get a better response.

Another gravel I was looking at is some sonora river pebbles off ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonora-River...item3f23b97348
I was reading up on rocks and you have to be careful that the rocks don't have a coating on them and if they are not that they don't have small pores that stuff can get stuck in, correct? Does anyone think that these pebbles would be bad for a betta? They look like real rocks to me.

My sister has a betta tank that has marbles and glass balls but I really don't like the look of that. I would really like real rocks as, of course, they look much more natural. Another thing I noticed with my current gravel, there are a lot of really tiny rocks (like 1/16inch big) which float around and are really hard to get rid of. I'd really like to stick to rocks that are about 1/4 - 3/8 size. If anyone has any suggestions on where to get rocks like this it would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #2 
bniebetta

You may want to consider what you may do with the tank later. Natural products like Ecocomplete and Flourite are really safe, so if you are going to have a planted tank later down the road you may consider investing in something like that. Keep in mind that commercial petco and petsmart brands are not really considered top brands, so for high quality gravel, look for reputable brands and be very aware of customer reviews. :) Both links you have listed seem to be pretty safe. Polished pebbles are probably better than painted gravel. Good Luck!!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gravel pebbles polished