Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #1 
smaughunter

Two New Bettas (rescue)

I need to stop getting my crickets at Petco. I went in with the simple agenda of feeding my tarantulas. They had a bunch of bettas in and many of them were in dirty water and poor shape. I wanted to take them all home. I didn't but I did take home two which I was to get at a reduced price after talking with the manager so I feel that I can call them rescues.

First is this red dragon plakat. He doesn't seem to be seriously sick just cramped and stressed. His fins are kind of clamped. Hopefully with some TLC he'll be feeling good soon.

And here is the really sick guy. He is a purple and red fish of indeterminate tail type. With serious finrot and swim bladder problems.

He can't swim down. He will try and then as soon as he stops struggling he pops back up and lists over on his side. And you can see that most of his caudal is gone. I have him in a two gallon kritter keeper. 1/2 full with silk plants for him to rest on and am treating with aquarium salt and half strength melafix. He will also get daily water changes.

The good news is he wants to swim around and appears to have some interest in living so hopefully with a little help that will happen.
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #2 
GrlRacr

Thumbs up

That's awesome that you chose the sick guy over the others in order to give him a chance. Kudos to you! I hope it all works out. In my experience, when an animal realizes that someone is truly interested in helping them get better....they thrive.
GrlRacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

Beautiful boy! It's great that you rescued him! :))) Looks like a double tail :)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #4 
smaughunter

Thanks. He sure looks like he could be a double tail. I can't see a split but he could have an uneven split or be a ST with DT geno.

He's actually quite pretty isn't he? He wasn't looking too colorful in the store but already from those first pictures he's colored up quite a bit.

Some good news today! He isn't floating anymore! He still is pretty weak but he isn't popping up like a cork.

That debris at the bottom is a little coconut fiber that was left on the driftwood because I cleaned it off too fast.

The red guy is doing better too. Seems a little less stressed and not so clamped.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I thought that Aquarium salt was for external stuff and Epsom salt was more for things like Swim Bladder and bloat? And maybe I'm wrong here but I don't feel like Melafix will do much for him since it's an oil which will eventually coat his labyrinth?

He looks like he'll either be a DeT or an HM, I'm in love with his coloration too! And that dragon! I've always been so fond of the red/white dragon scales, so beautiful! I hope they both get better soon!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #6 
smaughunter

Yes. I am using the aquarium salt for an external purpose, to clean the exposed areas of his caudal. The melafix I am using to act as a poultice to sooth the wound. I agree that over time the melaleuca could cause problems but I don't believe it is any more problematic than say aloe vera (assuming same approximal concentration) or other slime coat additives in the long run. I won't be using it or the salt for longer than 10 days.

Thanks! They are both beautiful boys. The red dragon plakat is faster and more skittish than the purple boy but I will try and get some pictures of him later or tomorrow.

Now I have 4 bettas. Not sure how this happened...
Old 05-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh okay good, sorry, I just wanted to make sure!

Lol and yes, their numbers sneak up on you and occasionally you find that another one "followed" you home! I'm at 16 right now...no idea how that happened either!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #8 
Crowntails

They are both beautiful! It's great that you rescued them. What are you going to name them?
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #9 
MoonShadow

Beautiful guys!! Sounds like you are doing everything right for them!! Can't wait to see updates on their progress!!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #10 
smaughunter

O.K. Some updates!

Today is day 3.

The red dragon plakat is looking much better! His fins are unclamped and he is eating! I love his cranky face.

The purple boy is also doing better, though he's far from out of the woods. He is active and eating and no longer having any SBD problems. He still has a little bit of a struggle swimming which I think is caused by the imbalance of his rotted caudal with such a heavy dorsal.

The rot doesn't seem to have progressed any further so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

No names yet. I will see about some if I continue to see improvement.