Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Need input for betta care sheet

The other mods and I are currently revamping the betta care sticky...
We would like to keep the sticky as simple and basic as possible, perhaps with links to each specialized sticky (ie, a basic water change info will be followed by a link to Oldfishlady's waterchange sticky etc)

I would like to ask our community for your input. I believe tht our collective experience and wisdom is needed in writing something that will help guide any novice betta keeper in the right directon.

So, here are a few questions for you:

1. Imagine you're a LFS employee, what will be the first advice you would give to someone starting out with a betta?

2. What were some of the first problems you had coming into betta fish keeping?

3. What would you change about the current sticky?
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...are-faq-20058/

Thanks guys :)

Last edited by ao; 05-12-2013 at 02:50 AM.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #2 
Stone

Well this is subjective on some of it as far as food, water temp, tankmates, but ill give it a go
1. gallon tank size min for standard bettas and 5 gal for kings/giants, and would recommend 5 or above for all most new people do not realise that a bigger tank is actually less work than a small one, and of course a adjustable heater and either some stress coat or prime for a water conditioner, I would point them in the direction of omega one or nls for food to help keep the fish from getting bloated tell the to feed 3-4 pellets twice a day for normals 6-8 for kings/giants with a fasting day.

2. well most problems come when you get too much info or bad info or not keeping in mind that all fish are different some fish might like 78 degree water some might like it at 84, some might like current some may hate it, some can have tank mates some can not, so basically trying to drive a square peg into a round hole by thinking all bettas are the same and like some rigid set way of fishkeeping and not trying to find out what is best for the individual fish

3.nothing

Last edited by Stone; 05-12-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #3 
Mashiro

1. Imagine you're a LFS employee, what will be the first advice you would give to someone starting out with a betta?

No matter what size tank they keep their betta in, I will always recommend a heater, heater, heater if I was a LFS employee! Then I would move onto minimum tank size, the importance of water conditioner/quality and nutritional food.

Figuring out what the nitrogen cycle was and that it CANNOT occur in a 2 gallon and under tank.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...are-faq-20058/

First part looks good. Instead of a FAQ, I'd like to see a straightforward list of what equipment to keep, what necessities to have, and what should be happening in the tank.

Thanks for the chance to let us contribute! :3
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #4 
Starfish1

LFS employee:

1. Heater, tank size, water conditioner. Making sure when you change their water that it's the same temp as the water you just took them out of. Also, how often to change their water and when in doubt use a test kit to check.

Problems I've had:

2. Covering their tanks! Making sure not to overfeed them (I'd go into what foods are best, how often to feed, 1 day fast, and explain SBD from overfeeding.) I'd personally would mention taking out the betta when siphoning the tank because they can get hurt and covering them when they are in the cup during the water change. I had one jump out of the cup when I was cleaning and I've had curious bettas who like to play at the end of the siphon and you have to be extremely careful.

3. I would explain swim bladder disorder under "Why is my betta bloated"

I would also explain marbling under "Why did my fish change colors?"
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #5 
Briz

3. I'd try to make the helpful information the most focused on. It's nice that we have the classification information available, but not necessary for a general betta care sheet and, in my opinion, distracts the reader from finding the information they are looking for.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

yep :) trying to keep it simple~ a few good ideas here :)
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Provide a short bulleted list, containing information on:
a) Basic equipment needed. (Tank, heater, water conditioner, thermometer, cover/lid, etc.)
b) Basic care needed. (Water changes, food, temperature, access to air, etc.)
c) Flow chart for common problems or illness.

a) Acclimation process
b) Suitable decorations
c) Suitable food
d) How to treat basic illnesses
e) List of basic remedies to have on hand for emergencies (Epsom salt, aquarium salt, etc.)

I think the sticky itself is OK. But I don't feel that the first part contains information that I'd call "Must Read!" (Intro, background, sexing, classification and species.) The needed tank equipment and maintenance parts are OK, but could use some updating.

If this is intended on being 'must read' info, I'd suggest either getting rid of non-critical info, or moving it elsewhere. (Maybe to the end of the post.) For me, "must read" info would be more of the basic equipment and basic care needed to keep a betta, along with a problem/disease flowchart.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

OOh this is exciting!

Definitely to start out with a heater, then water conditioner and tank size (suggesting still a 2.5 minimum for a happy Betta)

I actually killed my first fish my making his water too hot, but to me it was just "warm", so suggesting to run a thermometer under the tap to get the temp right is good. Eventually though it was the nitrogen Cycle that kicked my butt until extensive research to get it right.

I like reading things that are little more spaced out so it's easier to read, so bulleting things would be great. Starting out with the Introduction to what Betta fish are and then right to the Materials list for a Happy Betta. After that explaining some of the points like why they need heaters, why filters are good, etc. Then after that a List of Common Diseases first with their respective information and perhaps some pictures and then maybe the less common diseases. And then at the end, everything that didn't fit in could be thrown there with some order of course. Hope this helps your quest!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #9 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
OOh this is exciting!

Definitely to start out with a heater, then water conditioner and tank size (suggesting still a 2.5 minimum for a happy Betta)

I actually killed my first fish my making his water too hot, but to me it was just "warm", so suggesting to run a thermometer under the tap to get the temp right is good. Eventually though it was the nitrogen Cycle that kicked my butt until extensive research to get it right.

I like reading things that are little more spaced out so it's easier to read, so bulleting things would be great. Starting out with the Introduction to what Betta fish are and then right to the Materials list for a Happy Betta. After that explaining some of the points like why they need heaters, why filters are good, etc. Then after that a List of Common Diseases first with their respective information and perhaps some pictures and then maybe the less common diseases. And then at the end, everything that didn't fit in could be thrown there with some order of course. Hope this helps your quest!

I second that!
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #10 
whiskandbowl

Hi! Actual pet store employee here! I've copied and pasted our betta care sheet here. (I was in charge of redoing all of our care sheets, we are a private locally owned store and before I was hired, they just handed out care sheets printed off various websites and didn't even have one for bettas)
I actually used this site, and the care sticky, as a reference when I did the betta care sheet. As always, suggestions for change are always welcome!
It's a very basic care sheet.
Sorry it's so long
Hope this helps!

General
• Betta fish are also known as Siamese fighting fish
• Bettas are native to the tropical climate of Thailand and live in enormous rice paddies.
• Bettas can live up to 6 years with proper care

Behavior
• Male bettas should never be housed together. They will fight, possibly to the death.
• Females and males should only be housed together if breeding. This should be done carefully to avoid fighting and injury.
• Female bettas can be housed together in “sororities” but groups a minimum of 5 should be maintained (A minimum of a 10-15 gallon tank should be used for groups of females) Always separate fish if they begin to fight.
• Bettas have a special organ (the labyrinth) that allows them to breathe air. Never block the surface of the water, or your betta will not be able to breathe.
• A cover or lid for your tank is highly recommended; many bettas like to jump and may leap out of the tank.
• Betta fish are solitary fish and do best alone, though they may do well with small- finned, non-aggressive fish. (Bettas may nip fish with long, colorful fins)

Housing
• Bettas can be kept in a large bowl but are happiest in a tank 2.5 gallons or more
• Betta fish are tropical fish and are most comfortable in temperatures from 76-82 degrees. A tank heater is necessary for a healthy betta. A thermometer should be used to determine a consistent temperature. Note: Most ambient room temperatures are too cool for bettas. If the room is 76* for example, the water in the tank will remain several degrees below that, too cool for a healthy betta.
• Most bettas appreciate a hiding spot. Old coffee mugs or small terra cotta pots can be used as caves. (If using a terra cotta pot, be sure to plug the hole before placing it in your betta’s tank).
• A filter is not essential, but if one is used, the flow needs to be placed on a gentle setting.
• When choosing plants for your betta’s tank, use silk or live plants to avoid fin damage.

Maintaining your Betta’s Tank
• Water changes: Waste from fish produces ammonia, which is deadly in even small amounts. An unfiltered tank will need 50% water changes twice a week, and one 100% change a week.
• A larger (5 gallons or more), filtered tank will only need a 25-50% change once a week, using a gravel vacuum to remove waste and debris
• It is important to use a water conditioner such as Betta Safe when adding water to your betta’s tank. Water conditioner removes toxins from tap water that can be deadly to betta fish.
• Ensure that the water you are adding to your betta’s tank is the same temperature as it was before changing, to avoid shock in your betta. Float your betta (in a cup or plastic bag) for about 20 minutes before putting him into the tank.

Food
• Bettas are carnivorous; a betta- specific pellet should be used.
• Choose a pellet that is high in meat based ingredients, such as fish or shrimp meal.
• Overfeeding your betta can cause obesity, and contributes to a messy tank. Feed your betta 3-4 pellets twice a day. Feeding pellets one at a time eliminates waste. Remove any uneaten food daily.
• Provide your betta with an enriching diet. Many bettas enjoy freeze- dried or frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, or glass worms. These treats should be fed once a week to avoid bloating.

Health
• Betta fish can be prone to issues such as fin rot and tail biting. Many of these issues are related to tank maintenance and can easily be resolved.
• A lethargic betta is too cold; a temperature a minimum of 76 degrees is necessary.
• A betta missing bits of his tail, fins, or with frayed tail ends may be experiencing fin rot. Fin rot is usually caused by excessive ammonia amounts. An ammonia test should be done (ideal is 0ppm), and a 100% water change should be conducted. Treatment with aquarium salt may be effective.
• Fin or tail biting is often caused by boredom. Provide your betta with a roomy tank with plenty of plants and hiding places.

Resources
• BettaFish.com
• Other betta site here
• Other betta site here
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote