Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #1 
xst3ph90x

plant?

I just got a live plant for my betta yesterday. He is definitely loving the plant. He seems very happy with it.

The only problem that I might have is that I'm in a dorm room, and there isn't much sunlight in here. My tank is actually kind of in a corner away from all sunlight.

Now, I know bettas don't like a lot of sunlight anyway, but I'm wondering how my plant will do. I DO have a hood light for my tank, and that supplies a lot of light, but I'm not sure how the plant is going to do
xst3ph90x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #2 
Little-Fizz

You should avoid direct sunlight anyways, how big is your tank and how many watts is your light? Also how long do you keep the lights on for?
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #3 
xst3ph90x

i have a one gallon tank with a candelabra light in it. I'm not sure how many watts it is. The light is on all day except when I'm sleeping.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #4 
Little-Fizz

Yikes, what kind of plant did you get to fit into a one gallon bowl? Check on the bulb, and see if you can see anything that says the wattage. It should say it right on the bulb.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #5 
xst3ph90x

I'm not sure what kind of plant it is. Its perfectly sized, and is supposed to be good for bettas. I know PetCo does not always get a good rep, but my best friend works there and she has 10 bettas. She has done a lot of research, and when I told her that I wanted a plant for my betta, she just handed me a plant.

I'm aware that I will probably have to trim down the plant often to keep it from consuming the entire tank. It is a small plant now, and my friend said that it doesn't grow fast and that it is easy to maintain.

The bulb is a 7 watt bulb, the bulb does tend to heat up though, so I figured it could act as a sun?

I think the plant is a balansae? I'm not 100% sure, but when I went to PetCo, the plants were right next to the bettas, which usually means that they are good for bettas.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #6 
Little-Fizz

With a 7 watt blub on a 1 gallon bowl you should have no problem making the plant grow. Just avoid direct sunlight.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #7 
xst3ph90x

Ok thank you! My tank is in the corner anyway, so sunlight doesn't reach there. I'm so glad I don't have to get rid of my plant because my betta seems so happy with it!