Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #1 
love4bettas

I need more help than I thought

I have the 10 bettas in 3 gallon tanks with whisper 25i filters. Their design stinks. The outflow of water is dumped in front of the intake of water so nothing is sucked in but the water. The tanks remain dirty and I have to clean them everyday.

I have done the baffling as directed and it just isn't working. So I have decided to get sponge filters. I found air pumps with two outlets for the tubing. My question (I've asked it before but don't understand the answer) is what size air pump do I need for 4 3 gallon tanks and I will be usisng a 4 gang T. That's like a 12 gallon tank? Is that how I would figure it and get an air pump for a 10 gallon. Would that be enough for 4 sponge filters? Who uses sponge filters: where do you buy them. My LFS doesn't sell them. I have to get them online. Any help is really, really appreciated. Thank you so much.

Lyn
love4bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #2 
OSagent23

If I'm understanding everything correctly you want to run multiple sponge filters on different tanks using one or two air pumps. Is this correct?

If the answer is yes. I'm am also going to assume you have 10 betas each in their own 3 gallon tank. Is that also correct?

I would naturally assume if the answers above are correct your are going to want an air pump powerful enough to run 10 sponge filters in each tank with enough air power to create the current needed soft enough for a beta but strong enough to cycle all the water through the sponge filters correct?

I would suggest a double output air pump for a 55 gallon aquarium. With all the T-valves and air tubes you are going to use have 1 output run 5 different tanks together and the 2nd output run the 5 other tanks ensuring you adjust the T-valves appropriately for each tank.

It's what I would do. The more t-valves you have and hoses connected to the pump the less air pressure each tank will receive. You can do it. You just have to play with the settings on each t-valve to get the right pressure that you want in each aquarium.
OSagent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #3 
love4bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSagent23 View Post
If I'm understanding everything correctly you want to run multiple sponge filters on different tanks using one or two air pumps. Is this correct?

If the answer is yes. I'm am also going to assume you have 10 betas each in their own 3 gallon tank. Is that also correct?

I would naturally assume if the answers above are correct your are going to want an air pump powerful enough to run 10 sponge filters in each tank with enough air power to create the current needed soft enough for a beta but strong enough to cycle all the water through the sponge filters correct?

I would suggest a double output air pump for a 55 gallon aquarium. With all the T-valves and air tubes you are going to use have 1 output run 5 different tanks together and the 2nd output run the 5 other tanks ensuring you adjust the T-valves appropriately for each tank.

It's what I would do. The more t-valves you have and hoses connected to the pump the less air pressure each tank will receive. You can do it. You just have to play with the settings on each t-valve to get the right pressure that you want in each aquarium.
Boy, you are really, really great!! I had trouble explaining what I wanted to do and you got it right on the money!! Thank you!! Ok I understand everything you wrote and yes this exactly what I want to do. I have two small questions:
1. I want to use those water backups on each hose. Do you put them between the pump and the t valves or between the t valves and the filter?
2. How did you figure out the output of the air pump I needed? I understand that I would need more power because of all the splits but how did you figure out an air pump for a 55 gallon?

You are very smart. You must be doing this a while. Can't thank you enough.

Do you have an suggestions as to the size and type of sponge filters I should get and where to get them?

I'm asking alot, I know. I'm just trying to learn I guess real fast. Before I found this forum I thought I was doing everything right. The filter was missing and I really want to do right by my 10 "boys".

Lyn
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #4 
OSagent23

Try this one out. It's small enough for a three gallon aquarium. It has weights so it won't move around.

http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu...+sponge+filter

For the check valve (water backup) you place one in between the air pump and the spilt (t-valve). That way you really only need 2 of them.

I figure that an air pump that suits your needs with the air flow you want was pretty simple. 10 tanks x 3 gallons each is 30 plus an extra 15 for air pressure and good flow. If anything you could always reduce air pressure. You can never increase air pressure unless you buy a bigger air pump. Plus it gives you more aeration in case you need to use meds or get more aquariums on the off chance.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #5 
love4bettas

Quote:
Try this one out. It's small enough for a three gallon aquarium. It has weights so it won't move around.

http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu...+sponge+filter

For the check valve (water backup) you place one in between the air pump and the spilt (t-valve). That way you really only need 2 of them.

I figure that an air pump that suits your needs with the air flow you want was pretty simple. 10 tanks x 3 gallons each is 30 plus an extra 15 for air pressure and good flow. If anything you could always reduce air pressure. You can never increase air pressure unless you buy a bigger air pump. Plus it gives you more aeration in case you need to use meds or get more aquariums on the off chance.
Thank you for explaining how to figure out the air pump. Seriously, I flunked math all through school. Numbers never made any sense to me. Can't balance a checkbook either. You are so kind to give me the link and again my math stinks. I was going to buy 10 check valves. No kidding. Boy, if it wasn't for everyone who has helped me with my setups I would have spent alot of money on alot of extra things I didn't need and helped refine my tanks. I wish you all could really know how grateful I am for all the time everyone has put in answering my questions and just being there. It really means alot that strangers on a board that have something in common they are passionate about has brought us together as a family and friends. It's a miraculous thing when you really think about it. This is my first experience doing this and am just amazed. Thank you all for making me believe in people again and the true caring of each other. Everyone, have a very good night and good night to all the lucky "boys and girls" (bettas) of each one of you that clearly are loved. Lyn
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #6 
OSagent23

Good luck in all your endeavors. Thank you as well.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #7 
pittipuppylove

Quote:

Amazon.com: Jardin Fish Aquarium Mini Cylinder Soft Sponge Water Filter, Black: Pet Supplies

Everything else has already been covered, but I thought I'd chime in and say that this is a really nice little sponge filter. I have it in my 2.5 gallon shrimp tank and have been very pleased - it's inexpensive, compact, has lots of room for the bacteria to colonize, never moves at all, and the material seems to be very sturdy yet soft. Highly recommend it!
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #8 
love4bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
Everything else has already been covered, but I thought I'd chime in and say that this is a really nice little sponge filter. I have it in my 2.5 gallon shrimp tank and have been very pleased - it's inexpensive, compact, has lots of room for the bacteria to colonize, never moves at all, and the material seems to be very sturdy yet soft. Highly recommend it!
Thank you........SOLD!! I guess I just needed a little more reassurance. Thank you!