Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #1 
Miss Mila

Cave question

If I build a rock cave can I use rocks I find outside and clean them well? If so should I clean them with no soap? Should I set them in treated water in a separate container for a few days? I don't wanna hurt my Betta, Independent Variable by putting bad stuff in his home.
Miss Mila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #2 
okiemavis

You can use rocks. Just clean them very well WITHOUT boiling them- I like to use a bleach solution (rinse well obviously). Then do the vinegar test- pour some vinegar over the rock, if it fizzes, it's not safe, and don't use it.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #3 
FlaNatural

Cave question

I think its ok to use rocks, but make sure they don't have jagged edges because it is easy for a male to rip or cut his long flowing fins on sharp rocks. Also watch out for the sharp plastic plants they sell at pet stores, they can cut betta fins too.
FlaNatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #4 
Little-Fizz

I just pour boiling water over the rocks in my sink and scrub the crap out of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
Then do the vinegar test- pour some vinegar over the rock, if it fizzes, it's not safe, and don't use it.
Um.. I thought that if it doesn't pass the vinegar test it would just raise the pH? I swear I remember reading up about that. Lol I hope thats not right, because my littler sister bought me a rock from my lfs and it didn't pass the vinegar test but I didn't want to make her sad so I put it in anyways? The fish are fine and it hasn't done anything to my pH as far as I can tell.

I pretty much knew it wouldn't pass though, its a really porous rock.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote