Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #1 
Deanna01

What to look for in female HM?

Hi, all. I will be buying females for a sorority soon, and even though I am not interested in breeding, I would like to buy quality bettas. To that end, what should I look for as far as how the unpaired fins meet? Is it okay for them not to meet at all in a female?

Any other advice you can offer me?

Thank you.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #2 
Deanna01

I would still love to know the answer to this, should anyone have the time, but I went ahead and selected some females imported from Taiwan anyway. If anyone is curious, they can see the girls I picked (along with an import male I have coming) at this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=176185
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #3 
Deanna01

I have had 80 views to this message and no replies. I am truly interested, for the future, in knowing what fin types to look for, and I thought this was the appropriate forum to ask. My apologies for any inappropriateness of the query here.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #4 
samiam11894

Why not just get bettas that you like look nice rather then what other people qualify as good?
Not meant to sound snobby (sorry :( ) just trying to encourage individuality :D
samiam11894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #5 
Basement Bettas

For a sorority with no serious breeding goal it makes no difference.

Not to be rude... but this is a section specifically for showing and the standards they have to meet. With no intention of breeding or trying to attain that goal.. the post does not belong in this section.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #6 
Basement Bettas

If you want to be educated on what to look for to train the eye, I do a lot of reviews on fish on another site. Might want to join my facebook page.. it will help. And if you are interested in showing, can then get you started correctly.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #7 
Deanna01

Thank you, Basement.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #8 
Deanna01

I do have to say I'm confused as to where the post does belong, though. It would be seem to be even more unfitting in "Breeding Bettas," and I would think that the people who would be knowledgeable about the question I am asking would be here.

Perhaps I phrased my post poorly. The fact is that I would prefer to buy show-quality bettas, whether or not I am currently interested in breeding or showing. The reason for that is that I do not know if I might be interested in breeding or showing in the future. I don't want to decide a year or two down the road (once I'm more knowledgeable about this subject) that I want to breed or show and not have fish that would enable me to do that. I have read the IBC standards for fins, and I do not understand the particular requirement for HMs that I asked about--whether all the fins need to meet.

I genuinely appreciate your offer to join your Facebook page, Basement. That is the kind of information for which I'm looking. Unfortunately, I am one of those oddballs that will only friend people I actually know in real life.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #9 
Basement Bettas

And for a sority.. be careful mixing fish. You will want to house them separate for over a month to make sure they do not have disease. There is some crud around and a sorority is a perfect place for it to get established. Even if you get all fish from one breeder.. be careful of disease and take steps to isolate the fish and watch them for lethargy, no appetite and more.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #10 
Basement Bettas

I do not do "friend" for me personal. Only use the personal FB to keep up with family and a few close friends. Search for basementbettas on FB, it is a page. I have over 1200 likes and tend to be educational over there.

THis area tends to be about discussing the standards. Even though you want show quality fish, keeping a pet sorority is really what you are doing. A *quality* show female will be close to $30. And you want a tank of them. At least 5 is a good number. So now you are looking at $150. And then you have to figure the shipping in on top of that. All fish from one breeder and now you are in around $200. See where we are going? It is not worth it to most to spend that kind of money to have a tank of female bettas just for the ability to saw they are show quality. So the assumption is you are going to have pet quality fish, sorry I jumped rather quick to that. Reality is you will get some pretty fish to keep that are probably going to be culls from a breeder.

You do not tend to see the really great females offered for sale. I hoard mine and show few of them. A female tends to *stamp* her type pretty strong in the offspring so I never let the best ones out of the house. And since here lately I can not breed males, you will see all my show points this year are from my females. Realize they are my culls, so it sould give you an idea of what I may have hiding at home. You do not tend to purchase show quality but breed it in your lines over time.

Again, my FB tends to educate people on what to look for. You want good toplines, good body length, 180 spread, sharp edges, 8 ray branching and perfect color. ALso want a broad dorsal base, the dorsal to flow smooth into the tail and an level anal that also ties in even to the tail. I personally do not like long anals on females as I hate them on the males. And you have to have balance. Probably think I am speaking a foreign language by now. There are some reviews here and I do them on AB fish and post them to my FB page for the purpose of education and developing an eye. I can be a bit *brutal* on your average pet fish as I am pretty hard on my own. But what I achieve in my breeding is a result of that hardness.

So if you want a tank of females and are not where you can breed just get some that are attractive to you. Spend some time on my FB page and develop your eye. Read the reviews then look at your fish and find their flaws. The more flaws you can spot, the better your eye becomes. When you are ready to breed you will have an idea of what you want. You will not get anyting close to it.. but you can decides what faults are easierst to live with and go from there. A breeder will produce fish. A good breeder will improve them. Anyone can buy two nice fish and get lucky. A good breeder will be several generations down and producing better fish than they started with and hopefully winning some classes.