Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #1 
MediBedi

Question round or sharp edge for dorsal?

Wondering when breeding for show, is it better to get a female with a round-ish dorsal or sharp? Posting two pictures of my examples, one has a round-ish dorsal and the other has a sharp.. I pulled them off of a google search
Attached Images

MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #2 
belleangel33

I dont show but for my breeding I would choose the fins of the 1st female over the second
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #3 
belleangel33

I just learned you can ship fish to a show, that you dont have to be present so I would like to show soon!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #4 
MediBedi

For these pictures Im just going by the Dorsal nothing else, I do understand the overall balance of a female but just wondering is round better then sharp for show
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I feel like the sharper dorsal just denotes a regular female where the rounded is a plakat? But maybe I'm wrong on that, just seemed logical haha :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #6 
belleangel33

On your behalf i contacted a few breeders that show and they both said - is it for HM or Pk lines it matters
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #7 
belleangel33

Im a IBC memeber so I just looked up the show standards PLAKAT: Traditional Plakats
The traditional plakat is a stout, heavy bodied aggressive fish
with distinctive finnage.
Dorsal - The dorsal fin may be either uniformly rounded or
come to point

shortfin HM :Dorsal fin: -, The dorsal fin may be of any shape. A larger, better matching to anal fin. is preferred over a smaller one, provided that the size does not distract from the symmetry of the fish. Like the anal a slightly longer (1/16”) fin is tolerated. The desired effect is typically achieved by an increase in the number of fin rays.

HM -Singletail Dorsal: A variety of shapes are acceptable – semi-circle, quarter circle, rectangular - as long as breadth and volume are displayed. Triangular shape is unacceptable. As with the other fins, width and fullness are important, with maximum fin area a goal. Ideally, the dorsal fin will overlap the caudal fin and appear blended with it, though not physically fused. The first rays (closer to the head) must be comparable in length to the other rays,

Doubletail Dorsal: The base of the dorsal fin of a doubletail Betta is expected to be considerably broader than that found in the singletail. The doubletail dorsal is, ideally, the mirror image of the anal fin in keeping with the concept of symmetry.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #8 
MediBedi

Thumbs up

Thanks belleangel33
It is a halfmoon, I got a female that has more of an oval shaped dorsal but the male I got for her has umm... I guess you can say it kinda looks like a Triangular shape dorsal but instead of sharp edges its round on the ends, I mean its wide on the top but thin on the base if that makes any sense.. trying to work on a solid colored line so I don't want to mix any other colors in there but from the looks of it I might need to bring in a DT to make the dorsal stand out more and look fuller. Other then the dorsal they both have a really nice balance, anal fins not to long but does need work and a nice 180 on both its just the dorsal on the male that bothers me heh... Hoping with the female I got for him it'd balance the fry out
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #9 
trilobite

try and avoid triangle dorsals...Ive got them in my line and they are really really hard to get rid of lol
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #10 
MediBedi

Question

well Im sure with a few generations I'll be able to get it out right? picking the best male from the fry and breed it back to the mother seeing how the mother has the better dorsal and go from there