Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #11 
Basement Bettas

Any fish you purchase now will be too old to breed whe you think you are ready as well. If there is a fish you are considering for purchase, a photo here to have it evaluated is better than the general question you asked.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #12 
Basement Bettas

Here goes.. based on the pics you submitred.
First goldish girl:Topline good but a little short in the body. Got decent branching but the branching is not consistent on every ray. Look at the center rays, you have 6 branches. That need to be 8. Now looke out the first two top and bottom rays. They are branched onlu 2 or 3. Also the bottom of the tail has those 2 last rays short so she has rounded edge there.

Dorsal ok and not a bad shape. Brahcnig is nice there, just want a broader base. Add DT. Anal is very sloped and a pita to correct. You want that anal level. The last anal ray I do not want any longer than the tail rays.

Color wise she is not showable. You either need to get the red out or red inb and have a bi-color fish.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #13 
Deanna01

Thank you, Basement. That was very helpful!

The seven females I have already bought were Taiwanese imports off of Aquabid--I spent $25 apiece on them and then was given one free. The male Taiwanese import I bought was $50 on a BIN. I don't mind spending more on a "show-quality" betta at all--to me the difference seems negligible compared to what might be my ultimate goals, should I decide to go that direction.

And it sounds--if I'm interpreting you correctly--as though you have answered my question with "the dorsal to flow smoothly into the tail." That's why I was asking if it was okay with a halfmoon if they didn't meet. Thanks!

I'll look for your page on Facebook.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #14 
Basement Bettas

Fish 2, redish in the cup:
Odd way to show fish.. good length but hard to see top line. Not sure about the slope there right around the eyes. Same issues w ith branching as the first fish but this one has even m ore roundness to the edges as those ourside reays are considerably shorter than the middle ones.

Dorsal has very short first rays. Need to breed for longer first rays. This is typical in bettas and something we always work on. Color wise again not showable. IF red there is too much irid [that shine is irid.. blue color on the scales] and it bleeds into the fins. Major faults. Anal has same fault. Very sloped. You really must, if you want a good line of bettas, get female level here. This shape I hate and it look horrible on the longer fins of the males. Get level at all costs.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #15 
Basement Bettas

Fish 3 metallic/red in cup:

This fish could be longer. Tail is branched but the length is not there. She has some RT or rose tail in her. Again shor outside rays and a very round edge. You want to look for very long and straight outside rays. That tail should look like a "D" Anal on this fish is level but you see how the bottom outside tail ray is short compared to that anal? That is lack of length. the dorsal has some branching but has not real size. That reduced dorsal and tail and the short body lends itself to the RT in her genetics. Do not be surprised to find misaligned scales in offspring if you cross to a heavy branched male also border line RT.

Color she is a bi-color but that white edge must be bred out and that condition of the ratty fins corrected. You sometimes get that rattieness with that white edge no matter how good the water quality. Condnition and that white edge are faults.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #16 
Deanna01

Ah, thank you! You honestly don't have to continue, though it's incredibly kind of you. If I am able to find a site where I can learn more, that will be enough.

I'm new to this hobby and am completely enamored of it. I'm also reasonable and intelligent enough to know that I'd be stupid to try to jump right into any showing or breeding without considerably more knowledge. It's the knowledge I'm looking for, so I really appreciate your helpfulness.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #17 
Basement Bettas

Multi fish in cup:
She is super delta at best. VERY shor rays on the outside. Sure, some branching but not consistent and she is not where close to a "D" in shape. Better length on this female. Hard to see toplines in these cups t hough.

Dorsal you have the sh ort spike for first rats. Good length but it does not tie into a good tail. Anal is sloped and fins too long for my taste in a female. Color she is multi, and not a good one. You want to see three color and equal representation of them in the fish to be competitive. She is more blue/green without out good srpead irid and soe red wash to her. Could be a hint of BF type banding, but without it in the other fins.. probably will not get any good pattern on those lines.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #18 
Basement Bettas

Hopefully the review will get you looking for some things you had not considered. I am all about education as it has taken me a few years to get here. Hope to help others get there a bit quicker. And the reviews will help others as well. Bettas are fun, pet or show. They have a lot of personality. This section is for kicking it up a notch and breeding to the IBC standard. It is a high standard and to be a good breeder you have to be a bit rutheless in evaluating your fish and others. THere is a learning curve. I spent a bunch of money on AB and have tried to stay away lest I be tempted. But I tend to do regular reviews on my FB page when the quality of fish present themselves on AB. I do not post bad examples but the good ones.. and tell you what is good and what I'd work on improving as a breeder. From that you learn.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #19 
Deanna01

I suppose it's just a different way of thinking: To me, posting pictures one right after another and asking for evaluations would have seemed honestly impolite--as though I was asking other people to spend their time on something I wanted for myself, for my own benefit. The whole "Give a man a fish...Teach a man to fish" thing. :)
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #20 
Deanna01

Thank you! I really appreciate it. :)

I lived in SA for a number of years. Nice place!