Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #1 
LittleDeer

Hello there~

Hello everyone, I figured I would introduce myself. My name is Kylie. I'm not new to fishkeeping per se, when I was little my dad had fish for fifteen years and taught me a lot, although he never had Bettas or any small tropical community fish. He had an American Eel and Cichlids and Loaches and fish like that. They were interesting fish, but not quite as personable and peaceful as I would have liked in my own fish. I've had Bettas in the past when I was younger and didn't know much about them and kept them in small one gallon tanks and probably in less than ideal conditions. But within the past few months I decided I wanted to start over with fish because of how wonderful they are and how much I missed having them in my house. So I ended up with my handsome little blue veiltail boy, Benedict. I had him in a small one gallon tank before doing a ton of research (which I know now I should have done beforehand) and he is now living very happily in a ten gallon toasty warm filtered and furnished tank. He's become such a sociable interesting little fellow. And very sweet. He seems to already have bonded with me. He even eats right out of my fingers now and gets like an excited puppy every time I walk by him. He currently lives with two Corydora Catfish and I will be getting a few more Cories in the near future so they are in a nice group. And at some point I will be making the space to set up my dad's old 30 gallon long tank (which I'm hoping still hold water, it hasn't been used in several years). And once I cycle that big tank I'm going to attempt to move the group into the 30. So that I can get a few more fish and make sure everyone has enough space. Although I'm also tempted to get another Betta...or more. They're just such characters and I just love them to pieces. I also have four ten gallon tanks and a five gallon, I just only have one ten gallon filter and one for the 30. So I would have to buy a bunch more set ups and I don't have much for funds right now.

I've been finding a lot of great information on here for the past month so I figured I might as well join the forum. I also have a friend that is new to pets completely and recently got a Betta with the help of what I have learned and has been doing pretty well so far.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be nice to meet all of you. And I'm hoping to learn a lot from the more experienced Betta owners on here. There always seems to be more for me to learn about these handsome little guys.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Welcome Kylie! I have a best friend named Kylie as well! And I have to say I'm in love with the names of your Betta and cory cats haha all of it is fantastic!

Sorry I can't actually read your whole post, in a hurry and have to leave but I wanted to say welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your time here and don't be afraid to ask any questions! That's what we're here for, no matter if you think it's silly or not :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #3 
LittleDeer

Thank you very much for the welcome. And I'm sure ill have lots of questions to ask in the future. I feel like I never stop learning new things about Bettas.

I'm glad you like the names. I'm a fan of the BBC Sherlock series, and the first name that came to mind when I got my Betta was Benedict after Benedict Cumberbatch. And when I got the Cories it became a naming theme. Although their personalities seem to be growing into their namesakes' a bit haha. Silly little things.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes, my friend is also a super fan of the BBC Sherlock ones, I have yet to watch it but I still get all my info from her haha. Along with Supernatural, Downtown Abbey, and a few others she's tried to get me to watch. However I am a huge Doctor Who fan ;D

Most of my fish are named either for Marvel related things (Steve, Tony, Jarvis, Mystique, and Raven) and then others for various reasons, I wanted to do astronomical things but I only have two that are named for that (Aurora and Stardust) Most of the rest have to do with their personalities and what came to me. Like Ditto, he was the second guy I got after Rembrandt (Oh yeah two named after artists: Rembrandt and Matisse) and he's a smaller version of Remmy except he's a double tail and black/yellow instead of blue/orange. Remmy is my avatar pic :)

So yeah, totally get the naming theme ^^

I've been on this site a few months and I'm still learning new things! It's amazing how much information is out there!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #5 
LittleDeer

The first Betta I ever had actually ended up with the name Ditto, though I can't remember how, haha.

But I tend to have naming themes with my pets or I name them after characters. My rabbit is named Pooka after the puppy in the animated Anastasia movie. My rat is named Alduin and his late brother was named Paarthurnax after the two main dragons in the game Skyrim.

To be honest I'm quite jealous of a lot of people on here. I would love to have more Bettas but I don't have very much room for them to all have suitable tanks. I mean I have a few one gallon tanks but after everything I've learned from researching as well as watching my little Benedict, I wouldn't personally be comfortable putting them in anything less than a five gallon.

I've even found it quite interesting to watch the Bettas a few of my friends have and see how different their personalities are. I just can't get over them.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww pooka! I love that name! And I love Anastasia!

And yes they all have such distinct personalities! I mean, it all comes down to food, but they're just so adorable to watch! I've got 16 right now in my room with 5 different tanks. My 33 holds my 9 girl sorority and then my 10 gallon is split 3 ways for Rembrandt, Aero and Ditto. And then I have my 5.5 and two 3 gallons, one is split for the two babies I have :D

But yes, normally I don't do anything under 3 gallons, especially a full grown betta, i feel like it's just too cramped in there!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #7 
LittleDeer

I just don't trust anything that can't fit a heater, a filter, a plant and a cave of some sort for security and privacy at the very least. Most smaller tanks don't really have enough space for all that in addition to space for them to move and explore.

I've actually thought about attempting a small sorority at some point. That way I could have several and (hopefully) keep them all together and I wouldn't need a bunch of separate tanks. Although I still need to research how to set up a sorority properly and make sure they all get along and are comfortable with eachother. Plus, I've never had a female Betta and I don't know much about how they differ from males, in behavior at least. If I did have a sorority it would probably be in my 30 gallon. I do plan to set it up. I had wanted to move Benedict and the Cories to the 30 but it may be in my better interest to keep those guys in the ten and set up the 30 for a few ladies. Hopefully they won't mind a few kuhli loaches because I had intended to get a group of them for the 30 as well.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, pretty much the same here :) I have one of my 3 gallons split but it's for two babies and they'll be moving once they grow up more anyway :)

I love my sorority to pieces! The smallest size tank you could do "safely" is a 10 gallon and could hold about 6 females.

Basically you need LOTS of plant cover, I mean, it is possible to only have a few plants but to ideally set up your tank, the more plants the better :)

There is actually no difference between taking care of males and taking care of females. And they certainly wouldn't mind other fish, they pretty much just pick at their own species, like most other fish. In my 33 sorority I've got 9 females (soon to be 11 I hope!) 6 Dainty Cory Cats and 1 Bristlenose Pleco. I did have 7 Neons on there but the Neons were getting too rowdy so I donated them to my LFS :)

I don't know much about kuhli loaches but I do know they don't have a huge bio-load so you could have two were normally you'd have one fish. So a small group, maybe four would be fine in a 33 :) And then either you could just have a few girls like 6 or 7 and a small schooling fish or you could have more Females :) I thought the school of tetras looked nice but they were just more trouble than they were worth so more females it is for me :D

You should check out this site called Aqadvisor.com it's a great place to sketch out ideas for stocking lists and stuff, you just put in the tank dimensions and the filter(s) and pick out your fish! I use it all the time, sometimes I just play on it to make my "dream" tank haha