Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #1 
PersonalityUnknown

Fin Rot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZa8FjWGjjc

I took a video so you guys could see how he's reacting. Is this fin rot? Could he have snagged his fins on any of his live plants? What do I do?

I'm freaking out, help D8 I don't want my baby to suffer
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It doesn't look like fin rot, just looks like he snagged his anal fin on something. That will be grown back with clean, warm water and the added StressCoat conditioner will help to because it's got aloe in it :)

He looks like he's flashing, trying to find something to itch on. Has he lost any scales? Also is he pooing normally? Does it look orange/brown and solid or is it whitish and stringy?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #3 
PersonalityUnknown

It looks like he lost scales on his head, he never had black on him and now he does:

This is a pic of him back when he was completely healthy before near-death with an ammonia spike.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He could just be marbling, changing his colors as he gets older. Some fish do that frequently.

But I'm still concerned with his flashing. Again, how does his poo look? Is there any at all?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #5 
PersonalityUnknown

When I did his water change it looked normal, brown. I don't know if he used the bathroom today. Upon inspecting the tank I found some poop but I don't know if it's his or the snail's. It's brown with what looks like white fuzzies around it.

What can I do to help with him flashing?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay that's good then. Flashing usually denotes internal parasites of some sort. He doesn't have any bloating right? None of his scales are raised or anything?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #7 
PersonalityUnknown

No bloating, his scales look completely normal other than his color change
Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hmm odd, does he swim like that all the time? That could just be a personality quirk of his.

But back to his torn fins, it's just his anal fin that torn right? Or am I not seeing the others properly?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #9 
PersonalityUnknown

He's always been a bit of a spaz, not to this degree though. I'm really hoping getting him his heater tomorrow will calm him down.

Yeah, it's just his anal fin. It originally snagged on a seashell I had in the tank. I removed all of them and replace it with live plants.

The water has been cloudy even after 2 100% water changes. Would anything from that be a factor?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What kind of cloudy has it been? Is it a white cloud or a green cloud?

I'm glad you put live plants in there, that's going to help him out a bunch! So adding in StressCoat conditioner is going to help heal up those fins, you'll probably start seeing new growth within a week of using it. It was hard to tell from the video, are any of the fin edges black that didn't used to be there?