Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #11 
PersonalityUnknown

White cloud

Umm, I don't think so. This morning I thought it was black on his fin from talking to a few people on Instagram. I wasn't home until a little after I posted that video so I was stressing over nothing I guess.
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

White cloud is a Bacteria Bloom and it's pretty common in tanks that are newly set up or cycling but it can pretty much happen anytime as well. I was also reading that during a bacteria bloom, the bacteria is pretty much eating up all the oxygen which is the only "bad" thing that will happen during this. But for a Betta it shouldn't be too much of a problem since they can breathe air.

Pretty much you're just going to have to sit around and wait for it to go away but doing a daily Water Change with gravel siphoning is going to help it out. And as you've seen, it won't get rid of it easily but it will help the process. So I suggest a 50% change daily, make sure you get all the gravel if you siphon it out since the majority of the problem comes in when food and other organic waste is left to rot in there :)

Also, you said he has a snail in there? What kind of snail and how big is the tank? And do you have a filter or some sort?

Hope that helps some! And that's good he doesn't have the black edges! So just clean, warm water will help him heal up with the StressCoat and you should be all set!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #13 
PersonalityUnknown

I don't have a siphon is there any way to clean my gravel better? I usually stir it up a bit before doing a water change that way the stuff flows out when I pour out the tank. It's a 2.5g, no heater and no filter. I should *hopefully* be getting my aqueon 50watt tomorrow once everything is off the truck.

Blueberry is a Blue Mystery Snail
Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay there is probably your problem. He might be getting some ammonia poisoning, usually snails aren't good for smaller tanks because their bio-load is so big that they pollute the water very quickly.

Not having a filter is fine, I'd much rather you have a heater anyway :) And, just be careful it doesn't overheat your water. Start at a lower temperature and work your way up to the place you want to keep it at, having a thermometer will help with that because sometimes what the Heater thinks it's heating at is actually higher than what it is heating at, if that makes sense.

If at all possible, and I'm sorry to say this, you might have to either get rid of your snail or upgrade to a bigger tank like a 5.5 or 10 gallon for them to live happily together.

There are small siphons you can get like this one here:http://www.thatpetplace.com/aqueon-siphon-vacuum-mini-5 which are great for smaller tanks and is still cheap :D Because unfortunately stirring it up isn't going to help get all the poo out of there. It's only going to cause you more problems :/
Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #15 
PersonalityUnknown

Pah D: I thought that would happen... If I give my snail back to my store he's going to die though. My store has no luck with our snails since the goldfish just torment the poor things to death. Can I just do daily water changes to counter balance the ammonia until I can afford to do my upgrade? The siphon its self is super cheap but shipping makes it more expensive than it would be just buying it from the store I work at. If my calculations are correct, including my employee discount ill be spending 45$ or so just for my heater and siphon ;.; if I wasn't paid min wage that be no prob but gahhhh....
Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yeah, no I hear ya :) Shipping ain't cheap, it's just nice when you can get multiple items with free shipping haha.

Sucks about the goldfish and the snails though :/ Are there any other tanks they can go into?

For the mean time, daily water changes should help with the Bacteria Bloom and keeping the ammonia down until you can get a siphon or upgrade :)

You can look on craigslist, sometimes they've got some great deals on there for fish tanks if you keep an eye out :)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #17 
PersonalityUnknown

Ill ask my manager if I can bring in my snail in and grab a new one when I get my upgrade. Ill do a 50% water change tonight when I get home from work. After he's out of my tank should I do a 100% change?

I don't think I can do better than 66.99$ with a 30% discount, which is like 50$ with tax and that's the 10g kit brand new.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I think a 100% water change would be great after the snail is gone. Just don't rub off any of the gravel/sides of the wall or filter. Those are what is holding your beneficial bacteria and bio-film, none of which are going to hurt your tank. You can rinse out the gravel and tank and stuff just don't do a thorough wipe down or anything :)

Well....my 10 gallon kit I got for 28 dollars, the only thing it didn't include was a heater which I also got cheap and it was brand new. But maybe prices are all different from where you live?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #19 
PersonalityUnknown

You're not too terribly far from me, I live in Long Island, Ny. Where did you get yours? Was it aqueon? By the way I'm gettin the siphon and hopefully the heater today.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh cool, hey neighbor haha.

No, mine was TopFin from Petsmart while they were having a small sale on it. It came with a Tetra Whisper 10i filter (which I replaced anyway with an Aqua-Tech 5-15 from walmart), TSS, Conditioner, the hood and the lights along with a small bottle so I could bring my water in the have it checked lol But I already had the gravel, also from Wal-Mart (the black one from Aqua Culture) and silk plants. Eventually I switched to real plants though.