Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #21 
PersonalityUnknown

I got the heater and did about 70% water change with the siphon. My sticker thermomitor is saying the water is about 82 degrees but the heater is set at 76 I think. Before I left today I looked at Bubbles and holy crap he's such a bright blue and red again!! If I had more time to gawk I probably would have stated at him for a few hours in amazement lol the snail is goin back tonight and ill be getting a baby Cory to replace him.
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yay! I'm so excited! Hmmm, you know that Cory's need a group right? He's not going to be happy alone and your Betta doesn't need a friend, he'd be happy to have that entire 2.5 all to himself! It will keep it clean as well since he'll be the only one pooping. Cory cats don't eat fish poo or anything like that, they eat sunken flakes and sometimes will nibble on some algae but never fish food or detritus.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #23 
PersonalityUnknown

Is there anything else I can add to my 2.5? I just like seeing something else other than Bubbles all by his lonesome. I wanted an underwater frog originally but the completely separate diet threw me off some ;c

Hah! You're excited? What about me! I got to look at him for 5 seconds before running out the door. I have to wait till past 9pm to enjoy his beauty. I'm so anxious!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm excited that he colored up again! It's a good sign :D I'm too excitable sometimes haha, but that's fine.

I really wouldn't put anything else in there, he'll be perfectly happy alone. If you want to give him a buddy, once you upgrade then you can put a snail in there :) Or a trio of cory's but he will be perfectly fine in his 2.5. How long was he and Blueberry together? I know sometimes if Betta's feel like something is intruding on their territory they will flare a lot and act funky like he was doing in the video and of course the added ammonia didn't help but it could have stemmed from introducing Blueberry :)

African Dwarf Frogs are great too but they poop like no tomorrow, just like a snail, actually any and all algae eaters will poo a lot as well. So having those in a small tank is just a really bad idea, but the bigger the tank the better!!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #25 
PersonalityUnknown

I guess I jut have to be patient and wait till I get my 20/29 up and running. Or 10 depending on what I finally decide on.

They've been together for about a week now. Bubbles really doesn't show any interest, good or bad, in Blueberry, never flares at him, doesn't bother him. Every so often he'll go up to him and be like "yo" then swim away.

I cat wait to post pictures of him before having the heater and after. Definaely something to show my customers that talk about getting a betta too!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Definitely! I almost always suggest a heater before the tank size/filter just because it seems so essential to me. And of course personally seeing what a heater does for the fish, it's like night and day! (Well some of my fish have been that way, some just really don't care though lol but they still all have heaters) It sucks that heaters are so expensive sometimes for a good one, but it really does just make that much more of a difference :)

You should totally do a 29 ;P And I'm totally not being an enabler! lol The bigger the tank, the easier it is to clean. Of course, finding space might be a whole different issue (I know it is for me) but just think of all the different fishy's you could have :D Or you could do a really nice sorority if you like :) I'll stop encouraging now haha
Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #27 
PersonalityUnknown

Came home tonight to a bloated Bubbles... He just can't let me relax can he?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh geez >< Yeah they certainly keep you on your toes!

I'm sorry, I can't remember if I asked this or not and tried to look through the thread quickly, but what do you feed him, how much, how long do you leave it in?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #29 
PersonalityUnknown

I was actually fasting him before this happened, he was in day 2 of fasting. Since he didn't want to eat before I got the heater. About a week go he had a ton of line brine shrimp though, could that be catching up with him?

Pretty sure my bf hasn't been feeding him, he usually tells me if he does
Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, it might be the brine shrimp. But continue to fast him, if his stomach keep swelling then you're going to need some Epsom salt to help with the fluid retention. You can get that at any pharmacy, it's also Magnesium Sulphate, get the one with no additives and is unscented.

Is he still flashing around like the video?