Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #1 
muffygirl

FISHLESS CYCLING NOT GOING WELL

I have been cycling my 10 gallon tank for about 6 weeks. I finally got the ammonia -0- along with nitrites-0-. I tested the ph and they were at 8-9. I got the ph down with API ph DOWN and finally using PROPER ph POWDER 7.0. The ph is down to 7.8 Shall i keep putting in PROPER ph POWDER 7.0 to get it down to 7.0.

My nitrites have gone back up again. Will they go down once I get the PH right?

I used water from the faucet to fill my tank, my water is treated with salt to soften it.

I feel so hopless trying to get my tank cycled.

I've started putting ammonia in again. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

My Betta is waiting to get out of that 1/2 gallon bowl into his 10 gallon tank.
muffygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #2 
nav2008

im really not sure but alot of people reccomend cycling with a couple fish in it.... you have to be carefull though. i cycled mine until all the peramiters were to the point they would not harm the fish, then i cycled it with one fish for 4 more days, then added the other 3. its a 30 gallon though and our ph is already proper 6.8-7 without doing anything.
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #3 
Flashygrrl

I would contact the water company if I were seeing a pH of 9...what are you using to test?

Usually using those chemicals to bring down pH without a proper understanding of what your putting in there can cause your tank to crash.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #4 
iamntbatman

Were you dosing ammonia during the whole cycle? If you just added some at the beginning but haven't been constantly dosing it since then, then the bacteria that originally metabolized the ammonia have probably since died off, meaning you're pretty much back at square one. When you're cycling a tank, you have to have a *constant* source of ammonia to feed the bacteria.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #5 
Peppee

I'm pretty sure tap water isn't supposed to be that alkaline. I agree with contacting the water company. Are you dechlorinating the water?
Peppee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #6 
Kim

Did you test the water out of your tap? If so, what is it? If it is lower than in the tank, put some in a container and airate it for at least 24 hours, then test again. My tap water pH rises after it is out of the tap, and it is due to the CO2 dissipating, which rises the pH. If you find out that it is your tap water, I would definitely check with the water company.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #7 
okiemavis

The water is perfectly allowed to be alkaline, your utility won't do anything about it- my water sometimes comes out of the tap at almost 9, but it has virtually no hardness, so it drops very quickly when it ages.

What would be very helpful is if you could give us a full profile of your tank water, tap water and aged tap water parameters. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, kh & gh (if possible). Also, what water conditioner are you using?
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #8 
muffygirl

I have well water. I went to the store and bought 6 gallons of bottled water. I did a 90% water change. I squeezed(cleaned) the filter cartridge in the water I syphoned from the tank and put it back into the filter I have started a new cycle. Right now my ammonia is going to -0- in 10 hrs my nitirites are at 1.

I did not continue the ammonia consistantly after the nitrites went to 0. I think that is where I made my mistake.

I just checked my tap water parameters. Ammonia-0-, nitrites-0-, ph-7.2-, nitrates-0-

My aged tap water is Ammonia .25, nitrites-0-, ph 7.6, nitrates-0-

My tank water right now is ammonia -0-, nitrites -1- and ph7.2

Let me know what you think. Thanks
muffygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #9 
okiemavis

Ah, that would explain it. Well water can be very hard because of limestone deposits in the ground, etc. The easiest thing is probably to either buy bottled water, or to buy r/o water and mix it with your tap water. R/O water is very soft and acidic, so mixed with your hard, alkaline water it will come out nicely :) You can usually buy it at your LFS, or even walmart for approx 50 cents a gallon. Distilled bottled water works essentially the same...
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote