Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 
canucks141

Sponge Baffle?

Hi, I am new here and recently bought a Aquarius Aq15005 Aquarius 5 Rounded 5-Gallon Aquarium from Amazon and the current from the Power Filter that came with it is too strong for my new Betta fish. He has to swim very hard when moving at the front of the tank to get from each side. I am going to do a sponge baffle and I just want to make sure that I do it right.

I ordered an Aquaclear Foam Insert and going to rubber-band a sponge on the outtake of the filter that came with the kit which is this:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  17.4 KB
Obviously the filter I have is a BioStream 5-15e model but this is the only picture of the filter I can find online and they look the same. The intake tube doesn't have a strong suction that disrupts my betta it is just the current from the flow of water coming out. In this other picture I found online it has a sponge on the inside so is it better for me to rubber-band the sponge on the outside or place it inside the filter behind the outtake?
The filter uses Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag Medium Size Cartridges if that will have any effect on the sponge baffle.
canucks141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #2 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks141 View Post
Hi, I am new here and recently bought a Aquarius Aq15005 Aquarius 5 Rounded 5-Gallon Aquarium from Amazon and the current from the Power Filter that came with it is too strong for my new Betta fish. He has to swim very hard when moving at the front of the tank to get from each side. I am going to do a sponge baffle and I just want to make sure that I do it right.

I ordered an Aquaclear Foam Insert and going to rubber-band a sponge on the outtake of the filter that came with the kit which is this:

Attachment 119065
Obviously the filter I have is a BioStream 5-15e model but this is the only picture of the filter I can find online and they look the same. The intake tube doesn't have a strong suction that disrupts my betta it is just the current from the flow of water coming out. In this other picture I found online it has a sponge on the inside so is it better for me to rubber-band the sponge on the outside or place it inside the filter behind the outtake?
The filter uses Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag Medium Size Cartridges if that will have any effect on the sponge baffle.
I also have a tetra whisper but its inside the tank. I would recommend just trying it out both ways and see how your fish feels. I myself put a sponge inside and outside the filter and my fish enjoys having the space. Also lowering it or putting it higher can adjust the flow (if its outside)
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #3 
canucks141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby216 View Post
I also have a tetra whisper but its inside the tank. I would recommend just trying it out both ways and see how your fish feels. I myself put a sponge inside and outside the filter and my fish enjoys having the space. Also lowering it or putting it higher can adjust the flow (if its outside)
Thanks for the response, I'll try it both ways to see which one he likes best.
canucks141 is offline   Reply With Quote