Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #1 
countyrd419

Unhappy Cobalt

I bought Cobalt a new 2.5 gallon tank earlier today at PetSmart. After everything was set-up, I place Cobalt in the tank. Unfortunately, he went into shock and has passed away. I am very sad. He had a beautiful deep blue color and was a lively crown-tail Betta fish. I only got him last week.

I don't know what I did wrong? Someone from the BettaFish.com community tell me what to do so that the next Betta Fish I get will not pass away so suddenly.

I am so sorry Cobalt that I did this to you.

The 2.5 gallon fish tank that I got was made by Aqueon -- it is the one that has the light bulb and the filter.
Attached Images

countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 
Catw0man

I would guess that he was not acclimated to the new tank properly or slowly enough....perhaps the temperature was not the same, or the water wasn't treated with water conditioner......there can be many reasons that a fish will go into shock. Try not to feel too bad...I know it's hard...but, you're just learning and we've all made mistakes, especially in the beginning. The main thing you can do now is try to figure out what happened and learn from the experience. You will want to read as much as you can.....try starting here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

I know you were trying to do the best thing for your fish by getting him a 2.5 gallon tank, as members of the forum suggested. I use those same tanks for my fish and have enjoyed them....my fish like them as well and they make caring for all my fish easier than if I kept them in smaller bowls....but, the most important thing is water quality. Bettas are wonderful fish, so learn as much as you can and then get yourself another fish friend.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #3 
percyfyshshelley

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were trying to do the very best for him. I agree with everything Catw0man said. also, I just wanted to add that if you just got him he may have had something else going on that wasn't immediately noticeable, making him more vulnerable to things like a sudden change in his environment. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just read lots on this forum and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have. This is a great forum with lots of helpful people who love bettas and love helping betta keepers.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote